Carolina Hurricanes advance to round 3 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs

On Thursday night, 11 May, 2023, the Carolina Hurricanes beat the New Jersey Devils in overtime with a goal from Jesper Fast, allowing them to advance to round three of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.The Canes won back to back games on their home ice at PNC Arena, the scores being 5-1 and 6-1. The Canes would then travel to New Jersey for game three where they would lose 8-4. Game four was held in New Jersey again where the canes would win with a score of 6-1. The series would then come to an end in Raleigh with a tight game of 3-2 and the Canes continuing their journey in the playoffs. 

The Canes have had several injured players, causing them to have to adjust their lineup and bring AHL (American Hockey League) players such as Mackenzie MacEarchern and Jack Drury. Although Drury is signed by the Hurricanes to the Chicago Wolves AHL team so he can develop more, he has accumulated 3 points in this round alone of the playoffs. Drury was unable to play for several games of the first round due to injury, fans are happy to see him return in round two. 

“I’m super proud of everybody in this room… You guys are giving me tons of memories but you’re creating some of your own. Like how cool is that?” said Rod Brind’Amor, head coach for Carolina Hurricanes. 

The Canes are set to play the Florida Panthers in round three of the playoffs. Game one of the series has yet to be scheduled.