The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive

Girls interested in dresses from the project talk to Student Council Representatives about the dresses available to put them on hold (Photos by Ella Johnson)

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this opportunity for students. The Cinderella Project is centered around donations, where people donate lightly used dresses, suits, shoes, makeup, jewelry, and other prom attire to the schools. Math teacher and Senior Council Advisor, Christopher Remaley, says that the impact each year is what keeps the project running.
We typically help around 25 to 30 kids each year, sometimes more and sometimes less,” said Remaley.  “Even if it only helps one kid, then it’s worth it!”

The Cinderella Project is run by Student Government volunteers and teacher advisors. After the donations are collected, the dresses and suits are hung up and sorted by size, with shoes, jewelry, and makeup laid out on tables in the library. During both A and B lunches, students could try on dresses and pick out their accessories and shoes. Those who have picked out attire put it on hold until after school when they can take it home. Susan McGraw, a member of the Junior Student Government, says that she volunteers not for service hours, but for the reactions of those searching for the perfect prom outfit. 

“I help out with the Cinderella Project because it brings me joy to help [students] and see their excitement. It’s just a great way to get involved,” said McGraw. “It’s awesome to see reactions when girls have found a dress they love and get excited for prom.

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from (Photos by Ella Johnson)

The Cinderella Project has taken off since its start. It has grown from just dresses to adding shoes, accessories, and recently, suits for the male students attending the prom. Although it’s called the Cinderella Project, it helps a lot more than just the princesses at Athens Drive.

“We had makeup available this year and many were excited to get that without cost,” said McGraw. “There are also suits available, so guys are included too. There was one guy that I know who found a suit, and it was perfect,”

Although prom is just one day of the year, Remaley thinks that it’s important to feel like every student is included. Keeping the project here at Athens makes it feel more personal, as well as helps us support each other as a community. He hopes that the Cinderella Project will continue to grow and have an impact.

“It represents what Student Government is supposed to be, a way to serve the students of Athens,” said Remaley. “Better to serve, than be served.  I wouldn’t want to let another group take this project from us.”