Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall cause cancer concerns

NCSU’s Poe Hall, where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The building is currently closed due to possible dangers. Photo courtesy of NCSU University.

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would only cause an effect on classroom procedures in November of 2023 when it was shut down due to PCBs being confirmed present in Poe Hall. 

PCBs are a highly toxic type of chemical that has been proven in several studies to be linked to being capable of causing cancer. Many Athens Drive teachers have been alarmed because they spent a large amount of their education within those halls.  

“I was confused because I hadn’t heard anything about it until about November of 2023 when they were like, shutting down the building. So I didn’t know like anything about it,” said Madi Marlowe, a student teacher from NC State University.

There has been a lot of confusion from the entire situation at NC State as many teachers and students have been left in the dark about the dangers in the walls all around them. 

Former NC State Poe Hall student Christopher Remaley and currently one of Athens Drives Math teachers. (Photos by Ethan Adams)

“If I wasn’t in class then I was just hanging out in the college itself, like in the library or the lab space,” said Marlowe.

Many students in Poe Hall spent a lot of time in the structure at all times of the day. They took a large amount of Education and Psychology courses in Poe Hall as well as worked in labs and regularly studied for exams. 

“I didn’t know until November 2023, and … they knew [about the dangers] since 2018,” said Marlowe. “They didn’t notify anybody, staff or students about it except one piece of paper of the report. I guess that was posted on a bulletin board somewhere in the College of Education. Nobody looks at paper bulletins anymore these days, but it just got covered up by other things and it wasn’t taken seriously,” said Marlow.

This explains how sudden and unexpected the shutdown of Poe Hall truly was to students of NC State as they did not even know until the report was posted which caused people to feel like it was covered up. 

“They’re scared of liability, they are scared, which they know is sitting squarely on their shoulders,” said Remaley, math teacher at Athens Drive. 

Many students from NC State are concerned for their health as the current reported cases of cancer related to the PCBs of Poe Hall is over 100 cases and they know that they have been exposed to the same chemicals as the people who have been affected.

“I am not … super concerned about it because you know, it is what it is. Like I can’t take back all the time that I spent in that building,” said Marlowe.

After the recent promotion, students understand the risk they have been exposed to and are just going to have to go on with their lives and hope they remain unaffected by this discovery.

“What makes me the most concerned is how NC State is … kind of lying about it. I [have read] news resorts that have talked directly to the CDC office and they are saying the PCB levels are 38 higher than the EPA limit,” said Marlowe.

Brady Jones, Ethan Adams, Zane Perryman, and James Crumpler