Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

What causes school fights?
What causes school fights?
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • May 16, 2024

While school fights have become more normalized, the cause isn't discussed. Approximately 46% of high schools have school fights and violence...

Tardy policy disrupts education
Tardy policy disrupts education
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • May 15, 2024

Picture this: you’re running late for your first period because of traffic, or maybe you had a rough night and couldn't get any sleep. This...

Students views on the possible ban of TikTok
Students' views on the possible ban of TikTok
May 14, 2024

Celebrating diversity: A global cultural exchange
Deevani Rodriguez, Corissa Greene, and Sama YousefMay 14, 2024

Performing arts students gather in Main Street to take a group photo on their last day. Directors Ashlynn Hayes and Erin Santa-Croce join the group for their final moments in Magic Kingdom before heading back to Raleigh. Students traveled to Disney World as part of a Disney initiative (known as Sing the World Tour powered by World Strides) to have high school groups sing and convey a sense of world connectivity.
Sing the World Tour: The House of the Mouse
Brady Jones and Ella JohnsonMay 14, 2024

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall cause cancer concerns

NCSU’s Poe Hall, where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The building is currently closed due to possible dangers. Photo courtesy of NCSU University.

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would only cause an effect on classroom procedures in November of 2023 when it was shut down due to PCBs being confirmed present in Poe Hall. 

PCBs are a highly toxic type of chemical that has been proven in several studies to be linked to being capable of causing cancer. Many Athens Drive teachers have been alarmed because they spent a large amount of their education within those halls.  

“I was confused because I hadn’t heard anything about it until about November of 2023 when they were like, shutting down the building. So I didn’t know like anything about it,” said Madi Marlowe, a student teacher from NC State University.

There has been a lot of confusion from the entire situation at NC State as many teachers and students have been left in the dark about the dangers in the walls all around them. 

Former NC State Poe Hall student Christopher Remaley and currently one of Athens Drives Math teachers. (Photos by Ethan Adams)

“If I wasn’t in class then I was just hanging out in the college itself, like in the library or the lab space,” said Marlowe.

Many students in Poe Hall spent a lot of time in the structure at all times of the day. They took a large amount of Education and Psychology courses in Poe Hall as well as worked in labs and regularly studied for exams. 

“I didn’t know until November 2023, and … they knew [about the dangers] since 2018,” said Marlowe. “They didn’t notify anybody, staff or students about it except one piece of paper of the report. I guess that was posted on a bulletin board somewhere in the College of Education. Nobody looks at paper bulletins anymore these days, but it just got covered up by other things and it wasn’t taken seriously,” said Marlow.

This explains how sudden and unexpected the shutdown of Poe Hall truly was to students of NC State as they did not even know until the report was posted which caused people to feel like it was covered up. 

“They’re scared of liability, they are scared, which they know is sitting squarely on their shoulders,” said Remaley, math teacher at Athens Drive. 

Many students from NC State are concerned for their health as the current reported cases of cancer related to the PCBs of Poe Hall is over 100 cases and they know that they have been exposed to the same chemicals as the people who have been affected.

“I am not … super concerned about it because you know, it is what it is. Like I can’t take back all the time that I spent in that building,” said Marlowe.

After the recent promotion, students understand the risk they have been exposed to and are just going to have to go on with their lives and hope they remain unaffected by this discovery.

“What makes me the most concerned is how NC State is … kind of lying about it. I [have read] news resorts that have talked directly to the CDC office and they are saying the PCB levels are 38 higher than the EPA limit,” said Marlowe.

Brady Jones, Ethan Adams, Zane Perryman, and James Crumpler