Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb
Staff Writer

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Deevani Rodriguez
Deevani Rodriguez
Features copy editor

Deevani is an open minded character, she likes fitness, eating, and spending quality time with her loved ones. She hopes to write more exciting, engaging articles.

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall cause cancer concerns

NCSU’s Poe Hall, where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The building is currently closed due to possible dangers. Photo courtesy of NCSU University.

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would only cause an effect on classroom procedures in November of 2023 when it was shut down due to PCBs being confirmed present in Poe Hall. 

PCBs are a highly toxic type of chemical that has been proven in several studies to be linked to being capable of causing cancer. Many Athens Drive teachers have been alarmed because they spent a large amount of their education within those halls.  

“I was confused because I hadn’t heard anything about it until about November of 2023 when they were like, shutting down the building. So I didn’t know like anything about it,” said Madi Marlowe, a student teacher from NC State University.

There has been a lot of confusion from the entire situation at NC State as many teachers and students have been left in the dark about the dangers in the walls all around them. 

Former NC State Poe Hall student Christopher Remaley and currently one of Athens Drives Math teachers. (Photos by Ethan Adams)

“If I wasn’t in class then I was just hanging out in the college itself, like in the library or the lab space,” said Marlowe.

Many students in Poe Hall spent a lot of time in the structure at all times of the day. They took a large amount of Education and Psychology courses in Poe Hall as well as worked in labs and regularly studied for exams. 

“I didn’t know until November 2023, and … they knew [about the dangers] since 2018,” said Marlowe. “They didn’t notify anybody, staff or students about it except one piece of paper of the report. I guess that was posted on a bulletin board somewhere in the College of Education. Nobody looks at paper bulletins anymore these days, but it just got covered up by other things and it wasn’t taken seriously,” said Marlow.

This explains how sudden and unexpected the shutdown of Poe Hall truly was to students of NC State as they did not even know until the report was posted which caused people to feel like it was covered up. 

“They’re scared of liability, they are scared, which they know is sitting squarely on their shoulders,” said Remaley, math teacher at Athens Drive. 

Many students from NC State are concerned for their health as the current reported cases of cancer related to the PCBs of Poe Hall is over 100 cases and they know that they have been exposed to the same chemicals as the people who have been affected.

“I am not … super concerned about it because you know, it is what it is. Like I can’t take back all the time that I spent in that building,” said Marlowe.

After the recent promotion, students understand the risk they have been exposed to and are just going to have to go on with their lives and hope they remain unaffected by this discovery.

“What makes me the most concerned is how NC State is … kind of lying about it. I [have read] news resorts that have talked directly to the CDC office and they are saying the PCB levels are 38 higher than the EPA limit,” said Marlowe.

Brady Jones, Ethan Adams, Zane Perryman, and James Crumpler