Nationwide Emergency Alert System Test strikes around the country and Athens Drive

Anshuman+Mukherjee%2C+Junior+at+Athens+Drive%2C+on+his+phone+before+receiving+the+Nationwide+Notification.+
Photos by Ethan Adams
Anshuman Mukherjee, Junior at Athens Drive, on his phone before receiving the Nationwide Notification.

October 4th, at 2:20 p.m. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) are going to conduct a nationwide test of the “Emergency Alert System,” throughout the entire United States.

This will send an emergency notification to every cell phone and other wireless devices in the United States, such as televisions and radios.

The notification will include the message “THIS IS A TEST of the National Wireless Emergency Alert System. No action is needed,” said burbankca.gov.

According to burbankca.gov, the notification is set to last for around one minute. However, it’s important to remember that it is just a test.

The purpose of the “Emergency Alert system test” is to ensure the system would work properly if needed to inform us of natural disasters or enemy attacks in the future. 

Throughout American history similar alerts have been experienced, such as the amber, flash flood, and tornado alerts.  However, this “Emergency Alarm System,” will be on a much larger scale than anything America  has ever seen before.