Michele Morrows campaign photo. Each candidate who runs for office takes one. 
(Photo via Michele Morrow for State Superintendent)
Michele Morrow: Why you should research candidates before election day
May 13, 2024

Athens Drive seniors will be voting in this year’s presidential election in November. Teachers drill into them the importance of researching...

Senior assassin at Athens Drive; seniors new favorite hobby
Senior assassin at Athens Drive; seniors' new favorite hobby
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • May 9, 2024

Each year, Athens seniors participate in many exciting games to celebrate their last year of high school. One activity in particular...

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic Lunar calendar. During this month, Muslims strengthen their religion and fast from sunrise to sunset.
Culture & History: All about Ramadan
Farah Al-Rbehat, Editorial Assistant Editor • May 9, 2024

Libby OLeary (left) and Ryan Bartley (right) laugh as they present their project. The sophomore projects were centered around resdesigning the recycling process through new consumer practices.
Athens Drive STEM Students celebrate STEMPosium
Sophie King, Rowan Bissett, Elijah Hoskins, and Farah Al-RbehatMay 7, 2024

NCSU Poe Hall where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The same place where many students studied unknowing of possible dangers. 
Photo courtesy of Kevin Oliver
PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall, School of Education at NC State; causing cancer cases to form in students and employees alike
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • May 7, 2024

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would...

Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

United States must find another solution to solving issues than bombing campaigns

Explosions lit up the sky on the night of April 13 as the United States, along with allies France and Great Britain, carried out precision missile strikes on targets in Syria that were believed to be associated with the production of chemical weapons. The strikes were in response to a suspected chemical weapons attack reportedly carried out by Syrian dictator Bashar Al-Assad’s regime.

Chemical and biological weapons were banned by the Geneva Convention, signed in 1929 by all major world powers. Syria, on the other hand signed the treaty in 1959 but never ratified the treaty. Despite this, signing the treaty is seen as a powerful commitment. Russia and Iran, the two major supporters of the Assad government, both ratified the Geneva Convention.

Russia maintains that the recent chemical attack was staged by foreign forces and state that they have evidence that Britain was directly involved, which Britain denied. Despite Russia’s claims, the Violations Documentation Center (VDC), a Syrian opposition group that records alleged violations of law in Syria, reported that the victims had the hallmarks of a chemical attack. Chemical weapons experts have not yet arrived to definitively determine whether a chemical attack occurred or not.

Despite the attack, the method of intervention used is largely ineffective and creates more questions than it answered. To begin with, the Syrian government harms its citizens with more weapons than just chemical ones. They have repeatedly barrel bombed areas with large civilian concentrations with little direct response from major world powers. This puts forth the notion that the United States and other major world powers will tolerate the killing of civilians with no major action as long as there’s no chemical weapons involved.

In addition to this, airstrikes are largely ineffective. Last year the United States spent over 200 million dollars to bomb an airfield in Syria that subsequently repaired and in service a day after. In fact, the last bombing campaign that resulted in a positive outcome was 1994-95 during the Bosnian war. Airstrikes are still used because they provide a less direct and inflammatory response to a problem than other methods, such as a invasion would. It also keeps American citizens out of the line of fire. Besides this, they accomplish little other than giving the impression of response to a foreign action

This goes to show that America cannot solve every issue by bombing it. Obviously, American interests abroad should still be protected and attacks on civilians should not be tolerated, but the money and thought would be better spent to find a more effective solution.