Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Jake Paul against Mike Tyson

Photos by Corissa Greene
Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may see this as an uneven boxing match because of the age difference and rules that seem to be circulating, but it has captured sports fans’ attention, mostly the high school crowd. Mike Tyson’s return to the ring is something none have expected, especially to fight Jake Paul. Social media was shocked, yet ready for the event. This is likely to happen on July 20, 2024, at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, and will stream on Netflix.

The boxing match between the two is something many plan to watch. There must be rules. Differences linger in Texas and its rules, such as no official judges scoring the fight, two-minute rounds instead of three-minute rounds, and both fighters wearing 16-pound gloves instead of ten-pound gloves. Both parties are used to using ten-pound gloves, so it’s a new thing for both. Rumors have circulated on social media that advantages will be given to Paul to favor him in this fight, but also claim to have been denied.

“I dont understand why Paul’s trying to fight a senior citizen,” said Sophmore Marcus Green.

54-year-old Tyson is no punching bag. He’s told to be one of the most feared boxers ever. Known for his aggression, and outstanding punching power, he holds the record still as the world’s heavyweight champion and the youngest boxer to accomplish this title. He has a record of 50 wins and 44 KOs. While Tyson has been retired for over 15 years, he still trains in the sport, training young fighters, and he has a personal trainer himself.

“Honestly I feel like this is a weird fight, and I don’t understand but it’s great entertainment, and I’m eager to watch it,” said Collin Peters, Junior.

Jake Paul, who is 27 years old, is very successful on social media. As an influencer, Paul plans to make a lifestyle change and become a boxer. Paul has competed in many matches, defeating Youtuber AnEsonGib, former NBA player Nate Robinson, and MMA fighters Ben Askren and Tyron Woodley. Although he has little experience in the ring, Paul demonstrates the power of athleticism and seems very driven to the sport, which drives many people to believe he could fight against Tyson.

Former boxer Tyson states he is “scared to death” to be in the ring with Paul on Fox News.
Tyson fears this opponent as this is bringing his demon out of retirement and he shakes at and cries at the thought of it. Tyson’s motivation is primarily the only thing that got him in that ring to put on some of the best shoes in boxing history.

“I always cry before I fight. I don’t know why, it is just who I am. I’m getting ready to change into somebody that I don’t like,” said Tyson.

Paul says he is scared of fighting Tyson because he’s scared of what he may become. Rumors circulated that Paul’s brother, Logan Paul, would be able to tag team and wear headgear during the fight against Tyson. Jake Paul quickly denied those rumors, but new rules are said to come out and are making fans not want to watch this fight. Many are still anxious to see if Paul has what it takes to go against Tyson, others doubt if he has the power and experience to handle it.
“I think that is rigged and Paul’s not a positive influencer… a baby man, not nice baby,” said history teacher Sarah Shouse.

Regarding the outcome, Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson is worth watching. This is driving many insane and they are ready to see the outcome. Viewers should take into consideration both fighters and analyze their skills. Until then, only assumptions can be made.