Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb
Staff Writer

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Senior assassin at Athens Drive; seniors’ new favorite hobby

Each year, Athens seniors participate in many exciting games to celebrate their last year of high school. One activity in particular that seniors enjoy is senior assassin. 

Senior Assassin is essentially a water gun war against teams of seniors. Seniors form a team of four to five people (usually made of their close friends). The different teams are formed into a bracket by a senior who volunteers to organize the tournament. The teams are put against each other to spray their opponents, and the team with the most remaining players continues to the next round. This year Katie Beth Cornell volunteered to organize the games. 

“I am responsible for determining all [hits], DQs [disqualifications], final drafts of brackets, and rules. I run the group chat on Instagram so I am always doing my best to answer questions… I have to be fair and make sure that I remain non-partial,” said Katie Beth Cornell, senior. 

Game competitors often have different opinions about whether or not their shots hit their opponent. Shooters are required to record a video of them squirting their opponent. This is supposed to prevent arguments among players about whether theyhit them or not. 

“People argue with me all the time over rules, DQs, and [hits] that they think should/ should not count,” said Cornell. “It’s very hard trying to make sure that as many people are as happy as they can be while still keeping the game fun for everyone else.”

Athens’ game is played via Snapchat. The app can access a user’s location whenever they go on the app. For example, if a player goes to their neighborhood gym and goes on Snapchat, their location will update to being at the gym. All players must have the app installed and online. 

“There used to be a rule that your live location had to be on… so it would kind of be like Life360 where people can see your location all the time no matter if you’ve gone on Snapchat or not. I think everyone didn’t really like that feature because it made it hard to sneak up on people,” said Caroline Bowen, senior. 

The wide dislike of the live location caused big debates among those participating. Many liked the live locations because it made them feel safer since they could see exactly where people were at all times. Due to the debate, it was decided that each team and the team they were paired against would decide if they would like to use live location.

“My group and the team we played against decided to turn our live locations off and just have our regular snap locations on (only updating when actually on the Snapchat app) because we thought it would be more fun and sneaky,” said Bowen. 

Other rules that are in place for this year’s tournament include not squirting someone while they are in the gym, clocked into work, or volunteering. Another rule that is very important for participants to follow is not squirting anyone while they are on a school campus. This rule is in place for student’s safety and to prevent confusion, as some may perceive a water gun to be a real weapon.

“I think all the rules are fair. My boss would not like it at all if someone came into my work and disrupted customers in order to get me out,” said Mia Fabian-Bayola, senior. 

Many teams have already had interesting adventures and stories relating to senior assassins. Bowen’s group, “Pro Squirters” have been on several hour-long stakeouts trying to get their opponents out. 

“Recently, we had all hid outside of the gym to get our opponent out. We had hidden for about an hour when he finally walked out of the door and headed towards his car. He saw us last minute and took off running before we had the chance to squirt him, unfortunately,” said Bowen.