Libby OLeary (left) and Ryan Bartley (right) laugh as they present their project. The sophomore projects were centered around resdesigning the recycling process through new consumer practices.
Athens Drive STEM Students celebrate STEMPosium
Sophie King, Rowan Bissett, Elijah Hoskins, and Farah Al-RbehatMay 7, 2024

NCSU Poe Hall where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The same place where many students studied unknowing of possible dangers.
PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall, School of Education at NC State; causing cancer cases to form in students and employees alike
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • May 7, 2024

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would...

Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Does “eye for an eye” still exist?

The saying of “eye for an eye” was used in many religions and it was the law of retaliation. It is the idea that if one person has injured another, they receive a penalty that is similar to what they did. This law does not seem to apply to the world today.

This principle was used in Hammurabi’s Code and also in Judaism. An example used in the code was that if a man injures another, the same injury will be inflicted on them as punishment. Though the principle sounds reasonable, it is too harsh to use today.

There are many criminals in the world that commit murder and just have to serve jail time. If “eye for an eye” principle still applied, crime rates would decrease because people will not want to have the same crime that they committed inflicted upon them. If an individual murdered another, they would not want to be killed themselves, so this would lessen the chances of someone taking that kind of action.

This principle of revenge could be too harsh because there are people who have been arrested and put in jail, but are later proven innocent after new evidence is revealed. An eye for an eye would not be fair if the person is punished even though they are innocent, so there would have to be clear evidence that the person is guilty.

An eye for an eye would not work in our society today because there are so many different situations. Everyone deserves a fair trial and violence needs to be kept to a minimum. As a society, people may not agree with the principle and this disagreement could lead to protesting and more violence.

Punishments in society today are not equal as the crime, as criminals are either over punished or under punished. Criminals such as Casey Anthony or George Zimmerman killed people but they are walking around free today. Ricky Jackson was put in jail for 39 years and he turned out to have been innocent. Punishments should only be taken if proven guilty. These will not use the eye for an eye principle because it does not exist in society today.