The importance of exercise for teenagers

Photos by Taylor Malloy
Planet Fitness has many cardio machines that are open for use. Memberships range from $10-20 per month.

Many teens often overlook the simple act of exercising. Some may say that their lack of physical activity is due to an unfortunate lack of time, or simply never being in the mood. Teenagers often avoid exercise when they are not forced to do it. However, in this avoidance, they deprive themselves of the many benefits exercise has to offer. 

A common reason for high school students to avoid exercise is because they need to focus on their education. Endless due dates for graded assignments take up a lot of time that could be used for exercise. While succeeding in high school and maintaining good grades is extremely important, it is still possible for students to do so while incorporating exercise into their schedules. Exercise does not only mean going to the gym, it can include simple activities such as walking around the neighborhood or doing at-home yoga. Simple things that get you active are essential to maintain your body and mind’s health. 

School sports play a large role in keeping today’s teenage population in shape. They offer teens a competitive way to express their athleticism and find passion in being active. The good thing about sports is that there are coaches and teammates there to help teach you the best exercises to target what you are focusing on for your sport. Athens offers many after-school sports so that students can gain their daily dose of exercise through. 

Another thing Athens offers is many classes that help students learn and practice exercise. There are both men’s and women’s weightlifting classes, where the coaches push you to try your best and improve your strength as much as possible. These classes in the Healthful Living Department help get kids who don’t have access to a gym the ability to exercise routinely. 

However, if accessible, gym memberships are a great idea for an individual who is looking to take part in more advanced exercises. A gym gives its members a wide variety of different ways to be active. A typical gym will have treadmills, weights, and stationary bikes, all great ways to get heart rates up and sweat dripping. Planet Fitness, a franchise gym, offers teenagers a free membership during the summer so that teens are able to access a way of exercising for free, while school is out of session. 

High school students are also known to have a high-stress level during the school year. However, what many fail to realize is that exercise is proven to decrease stress levels. Exercise is proven to help decrease the effects of stress. By just going on a brisk walk, one can improve their mental and physical health. Exercise is also proven to produce endorphins in the brain. Endorphins produce a positive feeling in the brain and can often give one more energy or a better mood.