The struggles of AP exams

Photos by WOKANDAPIX
AP classes are more rigorous than most high school courses, often being regarded as similar to college level. They require a lot of dedication from students each day to stay on top of the course load.

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are probably the most feared classes in high school. After all, they are college-level workloads! But on top of the extra studying, assignments, and projects, there is an AP test at the end of the school year that can give college credit. With these tests only being offered at the end of the spring semester, students often wonder if they are at a disadvantage if they take their AP class in the fall. After a whole semester of a new set of classes, will the students remember the course contents from nearly four months ago?

Considering AP exams can count as college credit, it’s important for students to do the best they can when it comes time for the AP exam. Most students prepare weeks in advance, studying hours each day. For AP classes taken in the spring semester, students have an advantage because their teacher can work with them each day, so the information is fresh in their minds. Fall semester students mostly have to rely on themselves to refresh their memories, with only some classes offering after-school study sessions. College Board, the organization behind the AP curriculum and exams, only offers their tests at the end of spring semester. With so many students that have their scores impaired because of how their exams are scheduled, the College Board should reconsider its policies behind only testing once a year. Having multiple periods of exams would reduce student stress, improve scores, and even alleviate the pressure on teachers.

Teachers argue that it is ultimately up to the student to maintain their study of a certain topic throughout the second semester if they want to do well on their AP exam. These AP courses have a higher responsibility required, which students understand when they sign up for the class. Even with only some teachers offering extra study sessions in the spring for those who need a recap, AP teachers think there are enough resources for students to succeed even if they have a fall semester class.

However, students feel like the system is unfair and can have lasting impacts on their college experience. AP credits can transfer to some universities, which means less that students have to pay for those courses. While it is understandable that there is simply not enough space to fit in all AP classes only in the spring, the College Board should re-examine its testing policy to offer students the opportunity to take their courses more conveniently.