Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Turtle rescue team saves turtles and amphibians

The Turtle Rescue Team is a non-profit organization run by veterinary students at North Carolina State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine.  The team has been treating injured, wild turtles and releasing them back into the wild since 1996.  They provide medical, surgical and primary care with the hope of releasing the turtles back out again.  This year alone the team had a intake of over 500 turtles and is set to break another record next year.  The team takes care of a wide variety of turtle species, from the common snapping turtle to a River Cooter.

The mission at Turtle Rescue team is to provide high quality medical and overall care for sick and injured wild turtles, reptiles and amphibians in the hopes of returning them to their natural habitat.  This program helps the vet students get the best hands-on experiences, the team also teaches through many educational outreach programs.  They hope to show people the importance of protecting the native wildlife and ecosystem.  

Turtle Rescue Team relies on private donations in order to provide treatments for its patients.  If you are interested in making a tax deductible gift to the team you can do so on their website at ncturtlerescueteam.org.  You can also buy their merchandise at different events throughout the year.  Athens Drive Health Science Academy Director Jennifer Hulsey is part of the Turtle Rescue Team.

“We had six students who completed their internship there this summer.  They are Addison Evans, Dylan Glickman, Anna-Lisa Keller, Brooke Arthur and Mustafa Khasawneh,” said Hulsey.  

If you find a sick or injured turtle call the team at 919-397-9675 and leave a message.  A veterinary student will return your call as soon as possible.  There are instructions for temporary care if a turtle is in need.  The turtle rescue team has lots of fun and always encourages members to join.

View Comments (1)