Athens students participate in a protest for Palestine

A+picture+of+the+protest.+Students+brought+signs%2C+flags%2C+and+wore+keffiyehs+in+support.+
Photos by Hannah Suehle
A picture of the protest. Students brought signs, flags, and wore keffiyehs in support.

Fourth period January 14, 2024, was quieter than usual. However, the football field was alight with students’ voices. Athens students have never been silent about their beliefs; that day was no different. A group of students had organized a civil protest, creating a walkout during the fourth period.

“[The organizer] wished to find a way to spread more information about what’s going on,” said Delaney Burke.

The walkout was created in support of Palestine, and in protest of America’s aid to Israel during the attacks on the Gaza Strip from Israel. Students gathered at the top of the bleachers, reciting chants and listening to speeches from Palestinian students at Athens. Some students made posters or wore their keffiyehs and flags. Chants included ‘free Palestine’, Palestine will be free’, and ‘What do we want? A ceasefire. When do we want it? Now!’

“It’s really important to show that there are many people that support Palestine, even in the US,” said Alice Burnett, Sophomore.

Although the school did not sponsor the event, the students who organized it were pre-approved by Principal Boshoff and all teachers were emailed and informed about the protest before it occurred. Boshoff, Clinkscales, and Wiggins, among other school administrations, were all out during the protest keeping students safe.

“Young people are growing up and voting, and we need to show, now more than ever, that our voices matter,” said Burnett.

As of January 26, the International Court of Justice ordered Israel to prevent the genocide of Palestinians and to take any precautions to make sure that they do not commit genocidal acts or be associated with soldiers who do, as well as commanding Israel to let in humanitarian aid. They plan to bring Israel back to the court in a month to see how that provision takes place. They have ruled they do have the power to make a ruling on this case of whether or not this is a genocide, but may not make an official ruling, ordering a ceasefire or dismissing the case, for years.

“I have many friends that are [from] Palestine and seeing them bring everyone out and unite for their country was pretty cool,” said Chris Rowland.