Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Is community college a bad idea?

The United States is highly segregated in regards to education. The vast majority of people who attended college ultimately become coworkers or only associate themselves with other college graduates. Ironically, according to Jeffrey J. Selingo, only three in every 10 Americans have a bachelor degree over the age of 25. Of those people who have received college educations, many of them associate the word “college” with  a four-year university, when in fact people can greatly benefit from attending a local community college for two years prior to transferring to a university.

Community college is an excellent option for students who financially cannot afford to attend all four years at a university. Most community colleges cost less than $2,000 per semester, significantly cheaper than an in-state university. The low tuition cost allows students to work, maintain academic excellence and financially prepare for a four-year university if they plan on transferring.

Not only do community colleges provide low tuition for students, but they also give students the opportunity to partake in smaller first-year classes until students are ready to transfer to a university to take major-based classes. There are many advantages to participating in smaller classes. For one, students are able to receive more personal attention than the entry classes at a four-year university. Students are also able to receive additional instructional time if necessary, while at a university professors may not even known their students’ names.

Community colleges also provide a much more flexible schedule in comparison to universities. Community colleges offer far more night classes than four-year universities. Along with the flexible schedule, students are able to explore many more career paths while still receiving valuable credit hours.

Not only do students receive a well-rounded education at a community college, they can hold well paying jobs without attending a four year university. According to Selingo, community colleges are the gateway to the jobs of tomorrow that cannot be easily automated by robots.

Most “middle-skilled” jobs require more than a high school diploma but do not demand a bachelor’s degree. According to Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce, there are roughly 29 million of these jobs. Georgetown University’s Center on Education and the Workforce also states that of the jobs, some 11 million of them pay $50,000 or more a year, and 4 million pay $75,000 or more.

Despite the high demand for these jobs, employers struggle to find workers with enough educational experience to fill these positions. Some areas include advanced manufacturing, healthcare, and information technology.

It is very unfortunate that community colleges suffer from such a negative stereotype, even though they are an excellent option for students who are unsure of their major or cannot afford paying universities’ high tuitions. Many students who end up attending a four-year university end up dropping out and would have been much better off attending community college in the first place.