Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Meet the Candidates: The ones to watch

Photos by Elijah Hoskins

The 2024 election is heating up, and it is important to stay well informed on who is running, what they’re running for, and their platforms so here are the candidates to watch in this year’s election. 

Starting at the federal level, incumbent Joe Biden, on a platform of change and security, is running for a second term. Biden’s campaign is geared towards protecting social security and Medicare, making eldercare and childcare more accessible, solidifying the right to abortion, enacting a minimum tax on billionaires, banning assault weapons, and supporting voting rights. 

One of his competitors, Donald Trump, who last held the White House in 2016 when he beat Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, is running again this year after losing the presidential election to Biden in 2020. Trump’s platform is for the expansion of executive and presidential power. In campaign speeches, Trump stated that he would centralize government power under his authority, replace career federal civil service bureaucrats with those who share his values and use the military for domestic law enforcement and the deportation of immigrants. He has specific plans to change the border policies of the Biden administration. 

Another federal contender is Robert F. Kennedy Jr, nephew of the 35th President John F. Kennedy, and son of former Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy. Kennedy is running under the independent  “We The People” party. According to his website, he plans to target corruption amongst corporations, work on ending the affordability crisis, end long-drawn-out wars, examine and work on the border crisis, and address how politics have failed Black Americans.

Onto the state level, North Carolina State Attorney General Josh Stein (Democrat) and Lieutenant Governor Mark Robinson (Republican) appear to be the front-runners in this gubernatorial election. 

Stein has stated that his goals include improving education, making the economy work for everyone, building a strong workforce, and keeping North Carolinians safe. Robinson wishes to lower the inflation rate and raise teacher salaries. 

This year’s election will be one for the books as we have heavy challengers from all sides. It will be interesting to see who comes out as the victor between Biden, Trump, and RFK Jr. As of May 2024, things are looking down for Trump, who is currently in court. Biden, as well, is losing support and has yet to call for an official ceasefire between Israel and Palestine. In daily polls, Biden continues to trail Trump for these reasons. RFK Jr, according to Trump, is not a serious candidate but come November 5, we will see who wins the White House.

As for the local elections in North Carolina, there will also be an interesting race to see who takes the Govenor’s Mansion between the two biggest challengers Mark Robinson, who faces criticism due to remarks about the LGBTQ+ community and many other past remarks, and NC State Attorney General Josh Stein also faced criticism and possible criminal charges for a political attack ad surrounding rape kits.  

Come November 5 these are the candidates you should watch out for when deciding who you will be voting for, and if you still need to register to vote, go get registered!