Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

People cannot cope with boredom anymore

The world today is full of distractions and constant stimulation. It’s come to a point where the newer generations are becoming used to, and even becoming solely dependent on technology. But it’s not only the newer generation, adults living in the current world have been molded by technology as well. The rise of technology has had many upsides and a lot of good has come of it, but the way it’s affected how people live is evident every day. 

In a time where almost everyone has a smartphone, it’s easier than ever to connect less with people in person. Phones have been turned into an excuse to avoid unwanted contact.

Due to people having a distraction ready at all times, they find themselves unable to cope with boredom anymore.

Boredom is one of the most important emotions to feel, and it must be an everyday thing. It’s what allows people to experience joy because if there was no boredom, fun, and contentment wouldn’t be special anymore. It forces the mind to create ways to entertain itself, and in a time before cell phones, people could find themselves content without always having something to do. 

With modern utilities unavailable, television was typically the only source of technological entertainment people used. And even then, not many people would be that invested in TV, with it being just another pass-time instead of a main source of entertainment. Many people would choose reading or some kind of activity to cure their boredom. 

A 1985 documentary titled ‘God’s Country’ exemplifies old-school boredom perfectly when French filmmaker Louis Malle stops in the town of Glencoe, Minnesota. He follows different people in the town in their day-to-day lives, where they express the fact that boredom is an everyday thing where they live. They mow lawns, meet in bars, walk with neighbors, and do just about anything to cure it. But the main takeaway is how they interact with each other instead of just staying inside all day, mostly because there was not much to do indoors besides read or eat. 

People have become less connected with the outside world as well. The loss of finding enjoyment and beauty outside of a phone screen is something that affects many people without them knowing. As people continue to seek artificial stimuli, there will be a loss of engagement with nature and social interaction. 

It’s not uncommon to see people walking outside with their heads down looking at their phones. It seems like more recent generations can’t see the everyday beauty of nature, partly due to being unimpressed after seeing videos online of breathtaking landscapes that someone’s typical neighborhood can’t offer. If the world humans live in is forgotten about, what will become of it?