The senior assassin instagram, where seniors can find all the rules and brackets for the game. The account is run by Katie Beth Cornell.
Senior assassin at Athens Drive; seniors' new favorite hobby
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • May 9, 2024

Each year, Athens seniors participate in many exciting games to celebrate their last year of high school. One activity in particular...

Ramadan is the ninth month of the Islamic Lunar calendar. During this month, Muslims strengthen their religion and fast from sunrise to sunset.
Culture & History: All about Ramadan
Farah Al-Rbehat, Editorial Assistant Editor • May 9, 2024

Libby OLeary (left) and Ryan Bartley (right) laugh as they present their project. The sophomore projects were centered around resdesigning the recycling process through new consumer practices.
Athens Drive STEM Students celebrate STEMPosium
Sophie King, Rowan Bissett, Elijah Hoskins, and Farah Al-RbehatMay 7, 2024

NCSU Poe Hall where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The same place where many students studied unknowing of possible dangers. 
Photo courtesy of Kevin Oliver
PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall, School of Education at NC State; causing cancer cases to form in students and employees alike
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • May 7, 2024

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would...

Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Jasmine A Glenn
Jasmine A Glenn
Copy Editor

Jasmine A. Glenn is a Junior at Athens Drive Magnet High School. Glenn loves animals and would do anything for an animal in need. A few of her favorite things are sunsets, her car, music, sports cars,...

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

Tardy sweeps

There are many new policies at Athens Drive this year, but one policy that is going to be enforced upon students and staff is tardy sweeps. This policy was made by Principal  Dr. James Hedrick and the administration to help students get to class on time. This policy did take place last semester but it was not taken seriously by anyone. This semester it will be starting Jan. 27.

“I just feel that the new tardy policy is not good because even though we have six minutes to go to our next class it’s still not enough time if all of our classes are back and forth from upstairs to downstairs and vice versa,” said Tapengga Salsmen, freshman.

In one full day at Athens there are at least 30 to 40 tardies, and that is just during one day. Hall sweeps is a policy made up simply to get students to class on time. This policy not only gets students to class on time but it keeps them from disturbing the whole entire class.  This policy is also supposed to help students stay out of trouble as well as get them to class on time.

“I feel like this new policy will not only help me get to class on time but also my peers because now we always have something to think about when wanting to be late to class,” said Halimat Oloko, freshman.

In the past years hall sweeps have been put in place, but they did not go as planned, so students got by without getting a consequence.This is a new year and now it really will be forced upon students. If students do get swept up there will be consequences such as lunch detention, In- School Suspension, phone calls home and possibly a few days out of school,depending on how many times it happened.

“This year I have a good feeling that the tardy sweeps will be made because there are a lot of tardies in our school,and i think it will cut the numbers of tardies down” said Oloko.

The tardy policy is not meant to get students caught or to take away their fun, but to simply get them in their classes and ready to learn on time. Having this policy at Athens will put a lot of thought in students minds to help get them to class on time. Whether or not students follow policy rules it will be implied, and consequences will follow if students still do not get to class on time.

“Having this policy added to the policies that we already have makes it harder because it feels like we have to rush just to get to class, but I do understand that if the school did not have policies like this, it would not have any structure,” said Jennifer Kinto, freshman.