Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg
Staff Writer

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Harry Styles breaks antiquated gender norms in fashion, proving people can wear what they please

David Bowie performs at Charlotte Park Center, NC in 1974. wearing boxing gloves and high waisted pants.
Photos by Wikimedia Commons

For the December 2020 issue of American Vogumagazine, Harry Styles made history by appearing on the cover, alone, while wearing a blazer over the top of a dress designed by Gucci. Styles’ confidence when breaking traditional gender norms in fashion has led many of his fans and notable celebrities to praise him even more than before, while others see Styles’ photoshoot as a disgrace. 

Critics of Styles’ outfit have coined the term “bring back manly men” in an attempt to suggest that Styles is not masculine, simply because he chooses to dress the way he pleases. Although these critics want men to stay within the lines of their definitions of ‘masculine,’ it should not be up to them to decide how other people choose to live their lives, in the clothes they prefer. 

This is not the first time that Styles has dressed outside of traditional masculine fashion styles, and it certainly is not the first time that a male in the music industry has dressed this way either, but unsurprisingly, he still received hate for something as simple as wearing a dress. 

Some of Styles’ music idols from history set the stage for him and many other young men to ignore the hate and dress how they please. Some of music’s greatest artists like Prince, David Bowie, Elton John and Freddie Mercury were breaking gender norms in fashion long before Styles was even born.

Although Style’s is not the first man in the music industry to have a bold and nonconforming personal style, it is still inspiring and important for many teenagers to have a younger, more modern and relatable music idol to look up to and feel represented by.

It is unfortunate and unnerving that Styles’ haters express their discomfort with his fashion so blatantly because Styles’ serves as a figure of progress for others and society. When one puts the situation in simple terms, it is easy to tell how silly the whole fiasco is, especially compared with the rest of the events from this year. People are upset with a beloved male pop star for wearing a dress.

It is interesting to note the history of women breaking their gender norms, from as early as World War I to as recently as the 2019 Oscars. Traditionally, pants and suit styles were reserved for working class men and served as an icon of masculinity. Women in the United States began wearing pants during the world wars, as well as after for sports or leisure. Until the 1960s and 70s, women’s fashion was largely focused on skirts and dresses, but the Women’s Rights Movement solidified pants in the American woman’s wardrobe and women have been seen wearing pants at work and home ever since. 

Women today are not seen as less feminine because they choose to wear pants over a skirt, so it is illogical to say a man is less masculine if he chooses to wear a skirt over pants. Even more recently, female celebrities have started wearing tailored suits to events such as the Oscars and the Grammys. The ‘power suit’ has gained praise from fans and many agree that female celebrities look comfortable confident in a style traditionally worn by men. So while women in the spotlight gain praise for stepping outside traditional gender norms in fashion, why is it that men who do the same have historically received more messages of hate and discomfort?

It is interesting to look at the demographics of the people enraged by Styles’ outfits. Unsurprisingly, it has been mostly conservatives. When it comes to gender or race issues, historically, conservatives have been the ones to spread their disgust with such matters. For example, conservatives in North Carolina strongly endorsed the Public Facilities Privacy & Security Act, commonly known as House Bill 2 or HB2, in 2016. This bill openly discriminated against transgender people who simply wanted to use the bathroom that corresponded with their gender. More recently, conservatives have shown their hate towards the Black Lives Matter movement, whose purpose was to give Black Americans a voice in a country that has consistently put them down.

Now, with Styles’ outfits, Candace Owens, a conservative pundit, tweeted her opinion in response to Styles’ Vogue photoshoot and wrote, “There is no society that can survive without strong men.” This is ironic because it takes more strength for a man to dress outside of their assigned gender norms in a society where they will undeniably receive backlash from men and women like Candace Owens, than it does to sit back and feel insecure with one’s masculinity.

Styles simply wants to wear what makes him confident without feeling insecure. The problem is not a man wearing a dress. The problem is the people who only have something hurtful to say about someone and choose to spread negativity in a world that needs kindness more than ever. Nowadays, it seems many people, no matter their political stances or moral views, choose hate over love and kindness, which is extremely disappointing. Although it is hard for people to stay silent on the things that anger them these days, it may be worth trying to speak more on the events that bring one joy. 

2020 has been a year filled with enough hate, from events such as the election, outrage against the Black Lives Matter movement and controversy over the coronavirus pandemic. It would seem that as  a start of a new year begins, it would be a good time to put down the flaming torches and end all the hatred that has been boiling over since March. If there is one piece of advice everyone can take from Harry Styles, it is to, “treat people with kindness.” 

You can check out the photo gallery for this article here.