Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Top Ten Halloween Attractions in the United States

13th Floor Haunted House – Denver, Colorado

• The 13th floor haunted house has three different events. The “Other Side” is a simulated bike ride into the woods where you get stranded in the dark and get terrorized by monsters. “Tales of the Unknown” A half man half rat creature sneaks up on you while you’re exploring a science lab. “Clown” every thirteen years the clown returns to Earth to feast on the fears of children. 
    • This attraction also has mini escape games and a maze called sensory overload. 
    • Creepy Hollow Haunted House – Rosharon, Texas
    • Creepy Hollow has three main events: 288 scare factory, dark woods, and pitch black. 288 scare factory is a research facility gone wrong; you have to attempt to survive a zombie apocalypse and not let the virus get out. Dark woods is a place where a mutation took over all the inhabitants. The caretaker had a horrible accident that burned all his flesh off and now he walks the grounds of the woods looking for new flesh to replace his burned skin. 
    • Pitch black is a holding facility where humans were experimented on and strange side effects occurred. The scientists found they could control the state of the subjects depending on the light they were exposed to. Bright lights and glowing lights made them act insane while complete darkness made them turn into killing machines. So the scientists created an area called Pitch Black with crazy lights and complete darkness to control the killing power of the affected subjects to provide security measures.
    • The Factory of Terror – Canton, Ohio
    • The Factory of Terror is one of the largest indoor haunted houses in the world and has been recognized by Guinness World Records three times for its size. This park is more than a mile long and consists of five attractions; 1300 Lost Souls, Industrial Nightmare, Lafayette 13, Massacre on Mahoning, and The House of Nightmares. The newest attraction is Lafayette 13 which takes you through a swamp with many creatures lurking. 
    • Fear Fair – Seymour, Indiana
    • Fear Fair was selected as one of the USA Today Ten Best Extreme Haunted Attractions in 2015. It has four events; The Pestilence, Rockford Riot, Ancient Evil, and Laveau’s Curse. The Pestilence stars a woman from the 14th century who has been infected with the black plague. You must try to oppose her and survive. Rockford Riot takes a group through a jail full of violent felons who are fighting the correctional officers and winning. Ancient Evil takes place in a catacomb with souls stirring. Laveau’s Curse is all about voodoo and gaining the favor of the king who can protect you from the spirits.
    • Fear Farm – Phoenix, Arizona
    • Fear Farm is Phoenix’s largest Halloween event with five main events and a haunted corn maze. The main attractions include Bunker: The arrival, Slaughterhouse, Pumpkin Witch, Fallout, and the Plague. Bunker the arrival is based on a true story. Thousands of Phoenix Valley residents witnessed strange unidentified lights one night in 1997, and has never been explained. One of the lights fell to earth and was lodged in the caves. This event takes place in an icy cave with creatures from the beyond. 
    • Field of Screams – Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    • Since 1993 Field of Screams has had four intense attractions as well as a huge entertainment area. Walking through dark cornfields, haunted houses and even experiencing becoming the walking dead, Field of Screams is an entirely different atmosphere than an average Halloween attraction. 
    • Frightland – Middletown, Delaware
    • Frightland has eight different attractions as well as live events and special nights. It also has a carnival/amusement park. This attraction has an endless number of activities you can participate in with the purchase of just one ticket.  
    • Hauntville Haunted House – Cleveland, Ohio
    • Hauntville has five indoor attractions. The Unknown is a unique experience centered around making your subconscious your worst enemy. Cellblock13 is a  prison and asylum forcing guests to try and make their way through the building without becoming a prisoner too. The Butcher Barn is found deep in the woods with a butcher gone on the loose. Psycho Manor is an old victorian mansion on a hill built next to a cemetery that used to be the town’s funeral home. Find out what happened to the family that lived there and how they disappeared. Finally, Wicked clowns is a 4-D experience in a mirror house full of clowns and special effects.
    • Haunted Hollow – Rockwood, Pennsylvania
    • Haunted Hollow makes a play on the revolutionary war in the desolate house hidden in the mountains.  With six attractions the Hollow takes guests through a cornfield, coal mine, mansion, ancient asylum, and covered wagon.  
    • Haunted Schoolhouse & Laboratory – Akron, Ohio
    • The Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory are two different haunted houses, along with a cafe and bar. The Haunted Schoolhouse is about a librarian who wanted her students to experience horror stories, not just read them.
    •  In the Haunted Laboratory, a doctor has led a team in DNA manipulation and controlling genetics. In an accident the doctor had most of his skin burned off along with suffering from the virus he was working with.