Libby OLeary (left) and Ryan Bartley (right) laugh as they present their project. The sophomore projects were centered around resdesigning the recycling process through new consumer practices.
Athens Drive STEM Students celebrate STEMPosium
Sophie King, Rowan Bissett, Elijah Hoskins, and Farah Al-RbehatMay 7, 2024

NCSU Poe Hall where the cancer-causing PCBs were found. The same place where many students studied unknowing of possible dangers. 
Photo courtesy of Kevin Oliver
PCBs in the walls of Poe Hall, School of Education at NC State; causing cancer cases to form in students and employees alike
Ethan Adams, Assistant Editor • May 7, 2024

In 2018, Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs) were originally discovered within the walls of NCSU Education Department,  Poe Hall; however, it would...

Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Deevani Rodriguez
Deevani Rodriguez
Features copy editor

Deevani is an open minded character, she likes fitness, eating, and spending quality time with her loved ones. She hopes to write more exciting, engaging articles.

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Learning about desserts creates an inside to different cultures

Most families have a particular holiday tradition regardless of what holiday is being celebrated. Holiday traditions are an essential aspect of how one celebrates and have been important parts of people’s lives since the beginning of time.

There are many holidays that are celebrated towards the end of the year such as Christmas, Kwanzaa and Hanukkah. However, those are just a few of the many and each one has a traditional dessert that is popular to that holiday.

“When celebrating a holiday, it isn’t perfect unless there are desserts. Christmas dinner is good but without a dessert it wouldn’t be complete, it adds like a finishing touch to the meal,” said Daniela Delgado, senior.

Saint Nicholas Day is a day of gift-giving, parades and feasts. Someone who is celebrating Saint Nicholas day is most likely to have speculaas koekjes. This is a spicy ginger cookie that is sometimes in the shape of a windmill or Saint Nicholas himself.

The day of the Virgin of Guadalupe is celebrated with a feast honoring Mexico’s patron saint. A popular dish on this day is bizcochitos which is a Mexican Christmas cookie that is butter-based and flavored with cinnamon and anise.

St. Lucia Day, is a day celebrating patron Saint Lucy who was killed by the Romans because of her religious beliefs. A popular dessert on this holiday is “lussekatter” which means saffron bun.

A holiday that lasts eight days, Hanukkah, is celebrated with a nightly menorah lighting, prayers and fried foods. “Sufganiyah” is a traditional deep-fried doughnut that is jelly or custard filled.

Christmas, a major holiday observed worldwide, celebrates the birth of Jesus. A traditional and popular dessert is pie, specifically apple or pumpkin.

“There are so many desserts that are popular around Christmas time so it is hard to choose the best. Cookies and cakes are popular but I think that the signature dessert around Christmas time are pies,” said Delgado.

Three Kings Day is celebrated in Hispanic communities with parades and performances. A popular dessert on this day is “rosca de reyes” which is a round, sweet cake that has candied fruit in it.

A holiday of cultural heritage and traditional values, Kwanzaa, is a weeklong celebration. Benne Cakes is a traditional dessert cookie made of sesame seeds that originated in parts of West Africa.

Omisoka is a Japanese holiday that means Japanese New Year. Mochi which is basically a rice cake is a popular dessert eaten.

Yule is a holiday similar to Christmas that is observed by historic Germanic people. A yule log is a traditional dessert made of sponge cake to resemble a miniature actual Yule log.

Saturnalia is a ancient Roman festival in honor of the god Saturn and is a time for feasting, goodwill, generosity to the poor, the exchange of gifts and the decoration of trees. The popular dessert during this holiday is dulcia piperata, which is a peppered honey cake.

Holiday traditions are an important part to building a strong bond between family, friends and communities. They give people a sense of belonging and a way to express what is important to them. These traditions connect people to their history and help them celebrate many generations of their families.

“I think it’s important to know information about all holidays because not everyone celebrates Christmas and just by learning about different desserts people eat during the different holidays they are learning more about other cultures,” said Yusraa Rashidi, senior.