Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Reigning state champ gives insight on women’s golf team’s undefeated season

Each year, women’s golf’s popularity increases and the competitiveness involved is different than other sports. Golfer Jennifer Chang, from the Athens Drive golf team, has been having low scores this season.

“The Athens Drive Women’s golf team is currently undefeated which in comparison to last year, there has been lots of improvement from our team,” said Jennifer Chang, sophomore.  

Athens Drive is ranked the number one school in our division for golf and is hoping to make playoffs this year. The goal of golf is to have the lowest score (get the lowest points under par). The Athens Drive women’s golf team has been practicing for a long time and has been trying everyday to get better at the sport they love. The success that this team has now and in the future years could make golf one of Athens Drive High School’s top sports.

Some of the seniors on the golf team have had low scores this season. “Seniors, Mary Todd Earnhardt, Rachel Lipman, and Olivia Evanoff have improved so much from last year,” said Chang. Lipman and Earnhardt both have low scores of 46 this season, which is an above average score. Kayla Parsons, freshman, has an average score of 36.4.

“With the way our team is playing so far this year, we will have a chance to go to states,” said Chang.

Some other teams in the surrounding areas have been really good also. Surrounding high schools such as, Fuquay Varina and Panther Creek have winning records that show they are in the running to be in the playoffs.

The coach of the golf team, Dave Snyder, has been motivating and preparing this team for success. During practice, Coach Snyder does different exercises to get his players ready for the match by making the practices feel like games. All the golfers on the Athens Drive Women’s golf team all have a big competition to see who can play best. As the season moves forward, we will see if the Athens Drive women’s golf can make it to the playoffs.

“I think with the way our team is playing so far we will have a chance to go to states,” said Chang.