English department sponsors spring U.K. trip

Windsor Castle displays the medieval architecture that will be studied by students  on the trip.

Windsor Castle displays the medieval architecture that will be studied by students on the trip.

Greta Moser

Greta Moser

Greta Moser, Copy Editor

Athens Drive English teachers Katie Hennenlotter, Kenneth Norris and Susan Mobley have coordinated a trip to England and Scotland over spring break.  The trip is scheduled from March 20-28 and includes stops in London, Edinburgh and many others between.

The “Scots, Bards and Brits” interest meeting will be held Monday Sept. 15 at 6:30 in the Athens Drive library where the logistics of the trip are to be discussed.

Attendance to the interest meeting is necessary to learn more about the trip.  The meeting is in place to answer specific questions and is scheduled to include information on itinerary, cost, payment plans and fundraising.

All students and parents of Athens interested in the opportunity to travel abroad with the school are welcome to attend the September meeting, and the March trip as well.

“I really would like a larger group than we have had in years past, that would be great,” said Hennenlotter, hopeful for interest from the student body.

The primary purpose of the trip overseas is to be educational.  The sights scheduled to be seen closely relate to the 12th grade English curriculum, though this should not discourage students in different grade levels from going.  The experience will allow the travelers to learn about the history and culture of the two countries through the sightseeing that is planned.

Trips abroad are not new at Athens.  Social Studies teacher Ken Davenport has taken students to the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy and many other places overseas and believes the experiences that take place on these trips are like none other.

“I still have kids who contact me and talk about those trips.  It is definitely worthwhile,” said Davenport.

The planned trip has a page on www.acis.com with more details and tentative itineraries. Use group ID 227476 to access the page.