Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Talented actress Abby Patrick reflects on her experience performing in “Footloose”

Abby Patrick, senior, is a talented actress whose work ethic finally paid off when she was cast as the principal in Athens Drive’s spring production of the musical “Footloose.”

Patrick has a lot of experience when it comes to acting. She has been taking acting classes since she was a small child and has trained with John Casablanca’s. Last year, she even performed in a production of “Godspell.” She is also a gifted singer, having taken voice lessons in her spare time, and has been an active participant in the Athens Drive chorus. As a result, she was equipped with a myriad of skills when she auditioned for the musical.

Dancing, however, is not something that comes naturally to Patrick, and is a skill she worked to cultivate for her role. Though she initially found dancing to be hard, Patrick said that yoga and weekly sessions with a dance instructor have helped her to improve. She also cited core exercises and stretches as methods used to teach her balance and flexibility.

“I have a long way to go [as a dancer], but I’m really proud of my progress,” said Patrick.

During rehearsals, the actors bonded with one another. These bonds helped them to become more comfortable performing together and are essential to their craft.

“You have to learn to trust other actors on stage, and that they’ll be able to step in if you mess up or hesitate,” said Patrick.

Trust between actors is crucial because it gives them a sense of security, making it easier for them to come out of their shells and perform with the bravery the task requires. In fact, performing in front of other people requires that they set their nerves aside, becoming practically fearless.

“I’ve learned that the fastest way to look like an idiot is to be afraid to look like an idiot,” said Patrick.

In addition to the musical, Patrick also modeled in Simply Spring, a fashion show. The runway show took place in Fayetteville May 24.

“Footloose,” on the other hand, ran from May 8 – 10, and premiered on Patrick’s birthday. Instead of being frustrated at the idea of working on her birthday, Patrick expressed her excitement at performing on the day she came of age.

“That sounds like a pretty great way to start out my eighteenth year,” said Patrick.

Patrick has high hopes for the future, and while she is optimistic, she is also realistic about her future goals.

“I’m hoping to have a career as an actress, but that’s really hard, so there’s a lot of room to fail. I almost certainly want to go into some sort of entertainment industry, so even if I don’t make it as an actress, I’d like to go into directing. I’ve student directed a few of the school plays, and realized I kinda’ enjoyed it,” said Patrick.