Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

Preparing for AP test

Advanced Placement (AP) courses offered to high school students provide a unique opportunity for students to place out of college courses. Just taking the class however, does not give students that college credit. Students, who want to receive college credit, must also take the AP exam and obtain the score needed for the college they wish to attend. These test consist of multiple choice and many have free response questions requiring students to write their own written responses to a question.

“I decided to take AP courses because I learned from my older siblings that the more AP classes you take in high school, the easier college is. I want my college experience to be as stress free as possible; that’s why I want to get as many college credit done in high school as I can,” said Matt Burroughs, junior.

These AP exams are only offered in May,therefore, students taking year-long or semester long AP classes must prepare all year for the AP exam. One resource teachers use to help their students is  Barron’s educational books make books that specifically to help students prepare for AP course exams, many teachers use these books to help their students prepare.

“I have been preparing for my AP exams by studying my Barrons book and going to review sessions after school,” said Burroughs.

This year, due to several unexpected winter weather storms, teachers have lost class time to help students prepare for their AP exam; therefore, they are having to find new and clever ways to help students prepare.

Some students feel as if all of the unexpected snow days helped them in regards to preparing for AP exams because it provided them with more time to study and individually prepare for their AP exams.

“The snow helped me because I was able to handle all of the AP course load, but it also hurt me because I might not have time to learn all of the information I will need,” said Burroughs.

One way teachers worked around the snow days is by posting assignments online for their students to complete. Whether student are prepared or not the AP exams are approaching quickly.