Humans of Athens Drive: Valeria Lopez Gutierrez

A day to remember
Photos by Sierra Moore
Valeria Gutierrez is a young poet. She has written many poems one being her recent called “My Eyes Open”.

Many teenagers have hobbies outside of school. However, Valeria Lopez Gutierrez a senior at Athens Drive enjoys a combat sport, boxing. When she isn’t boxing, she’s writing poetry.

“I do non-fiction, creative writing, and freestyle poetry so other people can connect with what’s being said. I like poetry that you have to reread a couple of times,” said Gutierrez.

Gutierrez’s teachers describe her as a sincere, resilient, and hardworking person. She wants to succeed at everything she does.

“I appreciated her resilience when certain things didn’t go her way she would work on it and take suggestions,” said Patricia Abel, assistant principal at Athens Drive.

Many people know Gutierrez for these things but don’t know her whole story. Gutierrez has faced obstacles but she didn’t let them stop her from becoming the person she is today.

“I come from a broken household; I grew up by myself and had to care for three of my siblings. I was also seeing how my brother was following in my footsteps, I had to change my ways,” said Gutierrez.

— Valeria Gutierrez

Gutierrez is very family-oriented. Her younger siblings looked up to her and wanted to be like her, but Gutierrez wanted her siblings to be on the right path, so she changed her life around so this could happen.

“I think the moment I realized that made me change my life was when I was at the hospital by myself. I was reflecting on life and thought about how I was alive. Why am I sad when I have so much to live for,” said Gutierrez.

Gutierrez wrote a poem about exploring mental health, the border crisis, the cases of missing children, and the Palestine genocide.  This poem received recognition by the United Arts Council, and she got to experience spoken word as one of twelve that was chosen. 

“I was so very proud of what she had accomplished,” said Abel.