Humans of Athens Drive: Lanfia Diane

Photos by Abody Moazeb
Lanfia Diane is a 10th grader who attends Athens Drive High School in his everyday life at school

“Soccer is more than a game, it’s my way to connect with people,” said Lanfia

— Lanfia Diane

Lanfia Diane is a 10th grader who attends Athens Drive High School. He has gone through many challenges but has had fun while getting past them. He keeps a positive outlook and enjoys school. From doing schoolwork to playing soccer with his friends, Diane takes each day as it comes.

In the city of Conakry, Guinea,  Diane started a captivating adventure with languages. His first language, Malinke, was found in a West African ethnic group in Mali and Gambia. was a big part of his life back home, but he also became interested in more languages when he moved to Morocco at age seven. The French language was everywhere, and it felt like solving a puzzle just to talk to people and make friends.

However, Diane didn’t give up on learning new languages. In Morocco, he started learning Arabic, adding it to his growing list of languages such as Susu, Fula, Lingala, and Halaf. These languages are mainly found in Africa, apart from Halaf which is from Syria. Learning eight languages was challenging, especially with Arabic, Lingala, and Halaf being extra tricky. Keeping up with all of them became a bit tough for Diane.

“I don’t use all eight languages as much now because there’s not enough time,” said Diane. 

When he wants to talk to friends from different places, he understands what they are saying and how to respond. Friends are always intrigued, and they often ask a lot of questions out of curiosity.

“Sometimes I miss the days when I spoke every language effortlessly, but now I just focus on the ones I use daily,” said Diane.

He still practices them every once in a while, but won’t use them as often as they are no longer commonly spoken where he lives. Being the only language whiz in his family surprised everyone, including his mom. She had to check with friends who spoke different languages to believe it.

Playing soccer added another layer of surprise when Diane understood a conversation about him in another language.

Beyond being a language champ, Diane is also a soccer star and a great friend. “Soccer is more than a game, it’s my way to connect with people,” said Diane, showing his love for the sport.

Diane’s mix of languages surprises a lot of his friends. He appreciates how he can connect his love of language to his love for cooking. One dish he loves cooking is Jollof Rice, a tasty West African treat that’s close to his heart. “Cooking Jollof Rice brings me back home. The smell and taste remind me of where I come from,” Lanfia spills. With the sizzle of spices and the delicious smell, Lanfia brings a bit of Guinea to every place he goes.

“Cooking is like a language everyone understands, and it’s fun to waste time and then enjoy what you make whether it is by yourself or with your friends or family,” said Diane. 

Whether kicking a soccer ball, cooking, or just talking with friends, Lanfia proves that languages connect people in astonishing ways. His journey from Guinea to Athens Drive proves Lanfia keeps on moving and lives his life to the fullest.