Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

WCPSS considers new policy

Wake County Public Schools has been a tad on the speculative side, whether it being about poor bus route quality and renovations or the recent switchover to PowerSchool. The school district has started to see is a huge facelift to what most students used to know as one of the best school districts in the country. Wake County is about to hit a large speed bump: the elimination of zeroes from the grading scale. This idea has been on the school board table for three years, starting in early 2010. After the change in superintendent, however the idea was ignored. Once it was brought up again in late October, speculations were stirring on what the grading outcome may be.

In addition to the removal of zeroes, students would be able to retake a test as often as they please, and the highest grade would be added to their school report. A candidate for a retest should be a student who knew the information, but did not show their full potential. By taking a retest one should be proving to their teacher that they and the teacher that you are capable of the material taught.  However, this should only qualify to students who are showing their work ethic and are honestly trying. For example, a student with a 84 or a 92 who has shown “above average work” is more qualified than the student who is significantly failing with a 65. Logically, the person who has a failing grade is not turning their materials in, and when they are turning in work, they have already received either a late grade or have not shown proficiency of the material.

But the issue is that students who are receiving zeroes are not doing their work in the first place. The zero no longer rests as a placeholder but an addition to the students average. Now, if the student cared about their grades, they probably would not let themselves get a zero. Some people would argue like school board member Jim Martin said “he wouldn’t be comfortable giving a 50 to a student who does not do their work.”

For most students zeroes are just an ill reminder of what the damage that can be done by having a zero simply in the gradebook. No matter if a zero is from a classwork grade or a test grade it can have a substantial impact on the difference between passing and failing. Zeroes are something that students should never receive, but in order for a student to learn, they are a vital element to the school system. Ironically, zeroes help students understand. Students learn the cause-and-effect nature of grades which provides them with more situational knowledge as well as student behavior.

This grading issue can go as far to how students will act in college. The truth behind professors not caring whether or not a student fails to complete an assignment is no joke. Having zeroes either as place holders or definite grades is a vital component to the way students learn. Without them, we would be handing grades to students who did not deserve them like their peers.

Eliminating zeroes is as much of a mistake as getting one. There is no excuse to poor performance and everyone should be rewarded with their efforts and vise versa. The best way to fix the problem is by helping those who are at risk to failing and providing them assistance in order to get themselves out of a academic ditch. It can prevent failures which they might not be able to get out of later in the school year. Of course, grades can only be in a teacher’s control for so long and by then, it is up to the student to perform.