Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Best Board Games to Play with your Family over the Holidays

The holidays are nearing, and people are getting into the Christmas spirit. Families are ready to watch their favorite TV shows and movies, and kids are ready to play on their new consoles and game the whole holiday break. There is also a better alternative to electronics that also lets you spend time with your family and have some old fashioned fun. Here are some board games you and your family can enjoy during the holidays.

“Clue” is one of the top best games you can get for cheap. It is a murder mystery style game where the survivors have to team up to find out who the murderer is. It uses strategy and critical thinking. There can be up to six players and each is represented by a token. The game is very affordable at around eight dollars at Walmart.

Another classic game is Monopoly. It has been around for quite some time and is a favorite game for many around the world. Players have to compete to be the last one standing and be the richest one while trying to force others into bankruptcy and buyout as many properties as they can.The maximum number of players is eight people so a lot of people can share in the fun. It takes a lot of skill and strategy to play this game and it has become commercialized in many arcade stores and more. A standard Monopoly set will cost 30 dollars on Amazon. 

“I enjoy playing Monopoly because I have to be careful with my decisions and it is fun to be a millionaire,” said Rohan Ahmed, sophomore at Athens Drive.

Next is the game Exploding Kittens. This is a card game similar to the “Uno” card game but has more action packed fun in it. Players have to draw cards from the deck and if someone picks an “explode” card, the player is out of the game. The more cards a player draws the more chance they get an “explode” card. Up to five people can play,and it costs around 20 dollars on Amazon.

Last is a classic everyone should know of. Chess has been around for 1500 years and is also recognized as an official sport. Many people play it, and it uses a lot of critical thinking and exercises your brain. You can invest in expensive chess sets made out of high grade materials or you can get a chess set at eight dollars or below. 

“The game is fun because you get to take out other people’s pawns while strengthening your skillset,” said Saqib Syed, sophomore at Athens Drive.