Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

2020 – 21 WCPSS creates back to school plans

Photos by Courtesy of Pixabay

COVID-19 has caused the closure of all Wake County Public Schools (WCPSS)for the safety of students and others. The date to return was originally September 8 then changed to October 22,  and for high school students the date will now be around January 20. 

“In a pandemic everything is subject to change.” said James Martin, WCPSS School board representative. Many people have been concerned about safety when they return to school, so a set of safety guidelines has been created by the school board outlining the importance of safety. 

“You have to build a community that says hey, we’re going to care for eachother but at some point when people are not paying attention to that then you have to take additional measures, and then it will go to measures just like other issues with the code of conduct,” said Martin.

Upon the return to school, students will have to wear face coverings per the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) guidelines. Students must also frequently wash their hands and maintain social distance. Some of the consequences for not complying with the guidelines may include student-parent-teacher or student-parent-administrator conferences, oral or written warnings or a referral to a counselor. 

There has been some confusion as to which schools need to return first. “The highest priority, I would say, has been the youngest children because if you don’t know how to read, it’s kind of hard to interface all the time with a computer. So there is a high priority for children in the pre-k through the third grade just because there are much more limited things you can do on a screen. There is also a high priority for children with special needs because you often need more one on one engagement with adults. The highest priority needs to be working with students with fewer coping skills, who can retialy make accommodations. Older students have better accommodation skills, that’s why the priority needs to be on the youngest children first.” Martin said.

As of Oct 26, there are some students who are already returning to school. Fourth and fifth graders have already returned to school and middle schoolers will be returning on a three week rotation.  “I don’t think it was completely wise. It was against the recommendation of principals but the board voted to start bringing back fourth and fifth graders and also middle schoolers. The problem there is that we don’t have the number of staff needed to have the amount of social distancing that is required. I personally think that you run into major safety issues if you try to have overly filled classrooms that’s still an issue that needs to be resolved because I dont think its safe to have, you know twenty five to thirty students in a classroom and that’s a big issue at the highschool level, and somewhat at the middle school level.” said Martin. 

High school students will most likely be returning on a three week rotational system. The purpose of the system is to enable students to get in person education while having an alternate two weeks of remote learning. Not having all students go at the same time will hopefully negate the possibility of the virus spreading. Online learning has been difficult for both teachers and students.  “I enjoy the interaction of students and seeing them work with one another.” said Meridith Bawden, math teacher at Athens Drive.  The goal, as it stands, is for students to return to school in the safest way possible, while getting the most out of the time they spend in class.