Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef
Staff Writer

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

WCPSS plans for indoor sports to return before outdoor ones

The schedule for sports to return based on the guidelines created by the Wake County School Board. This includes the workout periods, live periods and beginning of seasons.

For months, Wake County parents and student athletes have wondered if and when sports would be resumed for the 2020-2021 school year after last year’s abrupt cancellation of all sports in March due to COVID-19. Sept. 15, the Wake County Board of Education presented a plan to return to sports that could begin as soon as October.

The plan proposes start times for when each sport can begin practicing twice a week and the start of their regular seasons. The first sports that would be allowed to begin practices are cross country and volleyball Oct.1 with other sports to follow on a rolling calendar. Both the cross country and volleyball regular seasons are set to start Nov. 1. Other sports such as swimming, basketball and cheerleading would begin workouts Oct. 19, followed by lacrosse and boys soccer workouts on Nov. 9. Football would begin Nov. 30, the latest of all fall and winter sports.

While it is great that students can return to sports in the near future, the order in which each sport returns is questionable. One of the first sports to return and play competitive games is volleyball. Returning a sport that not only requires a ball that is touched by players’ hands, but is also indoors, does not seem like the right call in order to minimize the spread while still allowing students to play. 

Following volleyball there are other indoor sports such as swimming and basketball. In basketball, there are 10 players on a relatively small court. Each player has an assignment on defense that they must follow and guard, meaning there are five 1-on-1 match-ups constantly in each other’s personal space. This is especially true for the bigger players near the basket where physical contact is almost a constant when playing both offense and defense.

Ironically the sports that are beginning last are the ones that seem the most low risk. Although soccer and football have 22 players and lacrosse has 20, they are on an outdoor field that is at least 90 yards long. Soccer and lacrosse players have no man-to-man assignments and spend the majority of the time running into space rather than constantly being pressured by an opponent. Football players have face masks and gloves that would reduce body contact and often line up several yards from teammates and opponents.

One major positive with the plan proposed to Wake County is the allowance of up to five optional practices, two to three weeks before the season starts called the “live period.” This is actually more time than most teams had between tryouts and the first game in past years. This is imperative because if athletes cannot compete at least within their team before the season, injuries would be sure to rise. Cases like this are already evident in the NFL as the league is seeing a spike in injuries after not competing in pre-season games.

Overall the plan proposed has the right idea in mind: to have students return to sports as soon as possible while maintaining the safety of the student athletes. But the details are where it falls short. The order of sports could have negative effects on the players in regards to the health and spread of COVID-19.