Oracle Observations: Summer Funatics Podcast
Corissa Greene, Deevani Rodriguez, and Sama YousefApril 25, 2024

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb
Staff Writer

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg
Staff Writer

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Current Events

Parent Advocacy Coalition for Educational Rights

Jamal Khashoggi killed inside Saudi consulate in Istanbul

Jamal Ahmed Khashoggi was a Saudi Arabian journalist, former general manager and author and editor in-chief of the Al-Arab news. He was known as one of the most prominent journalist in Saudi Arabia. Khashoggi was living on self imposed exile in Virginia from the Saudie’s after relations with the royal family turned sour in June 2017. He went into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul turkey to legalize his marriage with is fiancee. When he entered he was reported to have been strangled to death then dismembered.

Shooter kills 11 people and injures 6  in Pittsburg synagogue

Robert Bower shooting suspect entered a busy Pittsburg synagogue Oct. 28. He opened fire on a morning service, killing 11 and injuring 6 others. Among the injured was Holocaust survivor, Judah Samet. Bower  ended up surrendering after a brief gunfight with police. After the Bowers arrest, authorities discovered Bowers Anti-semitic posts on social media. Federal prosecutors are currently pursuing the death penalty and Bowder has plead not guilty.

Bus crashes into bridge railings falling into a river in south western china

A bus fell into the Yangtze river Oct. 28 2018 due to a women who attacked a bus driver after missing her stop. A ten second clip released by chinese authority’s shows the women yelling at the driver.

It was reported that the women attacked the driver with  her cell phone while the driver fought back using his right arm, when she struck him again he abruptly steered left crashing into the bridges railings falling into the river. In thousands of hours of footage and several eye-witness reports the police concluded both the driver and the women were at fault in the incident. Out of the 15 people on the bus 13 people have been found dead with two missing.

China lifts 25 year ban on tiger and rhino parts.

China lifted a ban saying that captive animal parts would be used for scientific, medical and cultural purposes Oct. 29, 2018. Both rhinos and tigers are endangered species in the wild and the ban that was lifted was set in motion in 1993. Many experts fear the lifting of this ban will render efforts to protect these endangered animals moot.

Utah mayor killed in afghanistan

Mayor Brent Taylor died Nov. 3, 2018. He passed away on a mission in Afghanistan while serving for the Utah army national guard in his 4th deployment. He rescinded his mayoral duties and power temporarily to serve his nation once again. The Defense Department said the incident is under investigation. His death was earlier confirmed in a Facebook post by North Ogden City Councilman Phillip Swanson. He served 12 years as an officer in the United States Army National Guard, including seven years on active duty. Taylor also served two tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. The post from North Ogden expressed their grief and condolences. In what was dubbed by NATO as an “insider attack.”