Members of the Athens cross country team at summer cross country camp held in the mountains where they run different locations, meet NC state coaches, and do drills and conditioning. Camps like these are ways that runner for cross country or track stay in shape over summer. Photo provided by Krister Sjoblad.
Athens Track and Field; last push to Regionals as finish line comes into view
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 1, 2024

On May 11, 2024, Athens Drive Track and Field athletes will be going to Regionals; those who have qualified will represent Athens and compete...

Teagan Grantz (Senior) arranging the donated dresses for students to choose from
The Cinderella Project makes dreams come true at Athens Drive
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

The Cinderella Project started back in April 2015, with Student Governments across the county working together to provide this...

Boxing Legend Mike Tyson and Youtuber Jake Paul Face Off
Jake Paul against Mike Tyson
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • April 30, 2024

Excitement sparks in the boxing world as fans worldwide anticipate a face-off between Youtuber Jake Paul and noble boxer Mike Tyson. Many may...

Mackenzie Dixon, senior, celebrates her commitment to Johnson and Wales University, where she will continue playing Soccer. (Photo courtesy of Mackenzie Dixon).
Commitment issues: The journey to becoming a college athlete
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • April 30, 2024

Every year, student-athletes go through the highly stressful college recruitment process. Finding the right college for their academic needs...

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Crystal McCabe
Crystal McCabe
Staff writer

Crystal McCabe is a senior at Athens Drive High School. She is one of the Idea hunters for Athens Oracle, and in her free time, she enjoys exploring new cuisines, hanging out with her friend Nae McLean,...

Erin McNeese
Erin McNeese
Copy Editor

Erin McNeese is a senior at Athens Drive High School. They look forward to another great year of writing stories to share with her peers at the Drive. Outside of school you can find them participating...

Current Events News Brief

2 World Stories:

Egypt Terror attack: Egypt suffered the most deadly terror attack they have ever had Nov. 24. The attack occurred in a mosque and has not been claimed yet by any terrorist group. It started when a bomb went off in a building next to the mosque, and as worshippers fled the mosque they were shot at. The shooters then went inside and shot more citizens. The shooters also set up specific areas and waited for ambulances to transport the victims, so they could continue to shoot and injure the people further. At least 235 people were killed, and many more injured. Abdel Fattah el-Sisi the Egyptian president has vowed to restore security and avenge the killings.  

Bali Volcano: The highest level warning of evacuation was has been issued for the residents of Bali as a result of Mount Agung showing signs of eruption from Mount Agung. The last eruption Mount Agung had was in 1963 and was one of the largest and most destructive eruptions in history. The eruption covered the entire island and changed the global climate. Scientists are saying if Mount Agung erupts like it did before, our climate would change again, this time slowing global warming by releasing sulfur dioxide.

2 National Stories:

Homeless hero: While walking down a deserted street, Anival Angulo, a homeless man, saw smoke coming out of a small apartment building and then heard children crying. Instead of walking away, Angulo went to help. He tried to get through the front door but seeing that it was locked and had a deadbolt, he needed to try something else. Angulo used a metal bar to break the door and get inside. A little girl rushed to him immediately and hugged his waist, crying. Angulo then noticed another child in the smoke and went further into the apartment to save the child. Both made it out safely with nothing more than some smoke inhalation. The kids were left alone with their grandfather in another room when a pan of hot oil caught the house on fire.

California Wildfire: The wildfire in California has been named the Thomas fire and has spread over 45,000 acres. It started on the California state highway Dec. 4 and the cause is unknown. Thousands of firefighters have been attempting to contain it. With no success, the fire has spread and destroyed over 150 buildings and threatens many more. With wind speeds up to 70 mph, the fire has quickly spread across the state. Hundreds of thousands of residents are without power and multiple schools have been shut down. Evacuation notices have also been issued to at least 7,000 residents. There is no telling when the fire will be put out, but for right now officials are just making sure citizens are safe and able to evacuate.

2 State stories:

Human Trafficking: Two middle aged citizen were arrested and charged with human trafficking. Kashamba John, a resident of North Carolina and Arianna Somerville of Georgia were accused of luring a young women in California into prostitution. The victim was lured from a nightclub thinking she was going to work as an escort, then held against her will and flown to Atlanta. She was forced to have sex with many men everyday while John kept her ID, money and Somerville arranged for the men to meet at hotels. The woman was held in hotels in North Carolina, Georgia and Pennsylvania. The young woman was put in an uber and told the driver everything that had happened resulting in John and Somerville getting arrested.

Driver shot: A citizen from Burlington, North Carolina was shot in the head while driving on Dec. 1. Authorities have not caught the shooter, but they believe it was a road rage incident and there was no personal motive. The woman was brought to UNC hospital and is in stable condition.