Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Fidel Castro death

The Cuban State television announced that controversial former President of Cuba, Fidel Castro, died, Nov. 26. This announcement has set off a mixture of different responses throughout the world.

His brother, president Raul Castro made the announcement. Internationally people have reacted, some celebrate and others grieve. His ashes lie in the Jose Marti Memorial in Havana on Nov. 28 and 29. The internment of Castro’s ashes will be buried at the Santa Ifigenia Cemetery on Dec. 4.

The Council Of State Of The Republic Of Cuba declared national mourning from Nov. 26 to Dec. 4. On November 27, President Obama said “We offer condolences to Fidel Castro’s family, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Cuban people.”

Waving of flags as tens of thousands of people collectively sang the Cuban National Anthem at Castro’s funeral. According to The Daily Telegraph, nationally Castro was “either praised as a brave champion of the people, or derided as a power-mad dictator.”

After Castro’s death, Cuba’s government announced that they will be prohibiting the naming of “institutions, streets, parks or other public sites, or erecting busts, statues or other forms of tribute” in honor of Castro’s wishes.      

People in Florida flooded the streets celebrating his death. Many Cuban-Americans gathered to praise, under Castro’s ruling thousands fled to the States. Chants of rejoice “Communism is dead!” Pots and pans banging, chants were shouted, a celebration of freedom.

Earlier this year President Obama was the first president in 88 years to visit Cuba. The meeting included a signing of agreements to increase cooperation and investment.