Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Farah Al-Rbehat
Farah Al-Rbehat

Farah Al-Rbehat is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year as an Assistant Editor on the Athens Oracle. She enjoys reading, spending time with the people she loves, and participates in many...

Minimum GPA for High School Athletes Too Low

High school student athletes have a few requirements that they must meet to be eligible to play sports.  However, maybe the most important of them all would be their grade point average.  Athletes’ GPA must be higher than a 2.0 or a C average.  A 2.0 is way too low, and it should be raised.

Playing a sport in high school is something that takes a lot of time, and it can be hard to make time to study and do homework, but it can be done.  The North Carolina High School Athletic Association (NCHSAA) is in charge of this GPA and have to power to change it.  They are holding student athletes to a low standard that is quite sad.  Athletes know they can get through high school by doing the bare minimum and still play sports; but when it comes to playing sports in college their GPAs would be way too low to get accepted into a college.

The NCHSAA should raise the minimum GPA to at least a 2.5 so the athletes will begin to focus more on school and not just athletics.  Having these student athletes’ GPAs raised by just half a point will help many of them get into college on an athletic scholarship.  

There are more requirements than just a GPA: you must pass English class and move onto

the next grade level.  And they have to pass a total of five classes throughout the year.  For student athletes at Athens Drive that means they could fail three classes and still play a sport.  If someone fails three classes, they should not be able to play in the upcoming season.  If it was up to me, I would make sure if an athlete fails one class, they should not be able to play a sport.

College coaches that talk to high school coaches that are looking to recruit a player always ask the same question.  They ask how their grades are.  If a coach hears that the player has less than a 2.5 or even a 3.0, they will not even consider to further the recruiting process.  I know this through my recruiting experience.  My team’s head coach first question was about my grades, and even though my GPA is higher than a 3.0, he still wanted to push me to get it nearly a 4.0.  All the time I hear these guys say how bad they want to play at the college level but cannot due to their low GPAs.  It is almost sad to think that these players have so much talent but throw it all away by not working hard in the classroom.

However, I see why people think it is a bad idea to make the GPA requirement higher or change the amount of classes they must pass because they think that not enough people will play sports.  If student athletes really cared about the sport they play then they would work really hard to maintain the GPA they require to play the sport.  But the major question is: What is more important, academics or athletics?  Most people would say academics because that is what gets students into a good college and that is then what gets someone a respectable job.

Raising the GPA requirement would force athletes that really care about the sport to focus more on school instead of the sport they play.  The NCHSAA should consider raising the minimum GPA for student athletes to play sports because it would force the athletes to focus more on their school work instead of just the sport they play.

View Comments (3)