Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

United States needs to take more active role in accepting refugees

Islamophobia plays into view of ISIS, split opinions make seeking asylum difficult for refugees

For nearly half a decade, Syrian refugees and those from surrounding countries have waited to gain entry into the United States to escape political unrest. However, opposition stemming from fear politics and prejudice is making it increasingly difficult to seek refuge. This is startling, considering that the United States is supposed to be a beacon of democracy built on immigration.

Political asylum is a human right affirmed by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The United States has agreed to the United Nations Conventions Relating to the Status of Refugees and have an obligation to let those who qualify come into their country. Why is it then, that some state leaders believe that they have the power to close their doors to more than 10 million displaced refugees (half of which are children), while other nations that are not as well equipped to handle a refugee crisis such as Turkey and Iraq have to absorb a disproportionate share?   

For many, this reluctance to accept those displaced by the political unrest in Syria stems from islamophobia. In fact, some politicians want to go so far as to ban all Muslims from entering the country at all or, as Ted Cruz has proposed, implement a religious test in order to gain entry. The popular misconception that Islam is synonymous with terrorism groups such as ISIS is not only fallacious, but has also been used to justify instances of violence against those of Islamic faith. Since 9/11, hate crimes against Muslims have increased fivefold in the United States. There has been a rapid increase in mosque burnings, racism-fueled murders, and the intimidation of Muslims by domestic terrorists.

Too many fail to realize that Syrian refugees are among those facing the brunt of attacks not only from President Bashar al-Assad amidst a four-year civil war, but also from the very same terrorist group that so many identify them with. The unyielding opposition to allow refugees into the United States shares many similarities with conditions Jewish refugees experienced during World War II. And it was not until intense lobbying by the American Jewish community that refugees were eventually admitted into the United States. In the same way anti-Semitism was prevalent then, Islamophobia is just a prevalent now and fear mongers like Donald Trump are taking advantage of it.

The greatest threat to the American public is ourselves. In 2015, the United States has had more mass shootings than there are days in the year — the vast majority of which had no connection to ISIS  or any other terrorist group whatsoever. Moreover, ISIS already has supporters that are natural-born U.S. citizens such as Alexander Ciccolo, the son of a Boston police captain. In fact, 86% of those arrested as suspected sympathizers are young, American men according to researchers at George Washington University.

Those who genuinely believe that these refugees are the enemy are giving into the ISIS narrative that Western nations have a vendetta against Islamic faith. They are dividing us by preying on our empathetic instincts by desensitizing us to death and destruction. By making these horrific acts so commonplace, the images of families being separated and children washing up on beaches is no longer enough to evoke a sense of urgency and care for the refugees. If someone is going preach that “All Lives Matter,” why are refugees any different?