Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Danazia McLean, also known as Nae, is a senior at Athens Drive High School and a member of the Idea Hunters of Athens Oracle. In her free time, she enjoys trying new foods, hanging out with her friend...

Religious freedom ends when another person’s liberties are denied

After the Supreme Court ruled in a five to four decision declaring same-sex marriage constitutional in June, many people have questioned to what extent we can demonstrate our freedom of speech and religion in the United States. However, many fail to consider the following — religious freedom ends when another’s liberties are denied.

A perfect example of the misinterpretation of this liberty was displayed by Kentucky County Clerk Kim Davis, who denied gay couples marriage licenses on the grounds that it went against her religious beliefs. Davis, who is an elected official and is expected to abide by federal laws, was convicted for contempt of court soon after her initial refusal. While many say this punishment was fair, there are others who have played her out to be a martyr. Davis is no saint, but after being divorced three times she would know more about “traditional” marriage than anyone, right?

As much as I would like to think there is a separation of church and state in this country, there is a clear Christian influence in the government and many of its proceedings. For example, the religion of politicians is put in the spotlight, favoring Christianity over other faiths. Christian values are often used as a base for laws such as abortion and gay marriage. Moreover, this influence is so great that it has excluded many others from openly practicing their religion without being persecuted and harassed. While Davis has become a heroine for denying someone of their rights, a Muslim girl wearing a hijab is labeled as a terrorist who pushes her religious values on everyone else. According to FBI Uniform Crime statistics, hate crimes against Muslims are five times more common since 9/11. In the U.S., Islam is considered synonymous with terrorism yet there is no uproar against terrorism groups such as the KKK who claim to be a Christian organization.

This influence also extends to the issue of religion and abortion. Although half of the country is pro-choice, religiously conservative lawmakers have argued the concept that aborting a fetus is immoral. They have falsified images of stillborn infants, claiming that this is what an aborted fetus looks like when in reality a fetus (typically removed between six to 12 weeks) feels no pain and is still underdeveloped. This false propaganda has lead to many motions to defund Planned Parenthood, which would result in as many as 650,000 Americans losing access to preventive care, STI testing, cancer screenings and sex education. Quite often the outcry against certain programs for the sake of “morality” has unforeseen consequences. If religious institutions believe they should have a say in social and political issues pertaining to such a diverse population of people, then their exemption from taxation should be removed.

To be clear, the problem does not lie in religion itself, but in people who hijack its teachings and cherry-pick values to suit their own misinformed prejudices. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when that opinion promotes the gross mistreatment (whether it be harassment, labeling, etc.) of a group of people, that opinion is inherently wrong.