Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

Sophie King
Sophie King

Sophie King is a Junior at Athens Drive and is the Editorial editor for the Athens Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with friends, painting, and playing the piano and guitar. She hopes to shine a light on...

Wake County Decides First Three Days Spring Break As Makeup Days

After Wake County schools missed a total of eight days due to inclement weather, administrators had to figure out what they would do about make-up days. The initial result, which was posted on the county’s official Twitter page (@WCPSS) March 3 which included two Saturdays, Good Friday and two half-days turned into full days. The dates were then changed to the first three days of spring break.

Many students wondered why the year could not just be extended, taking up the teacher work days following exams. Cathy Moore, Deputy Superintendent, explained that many high schools would have ended the year by this time, seniors would have graduated and testing would have already been completed.

“It’s problematic to try to continue instruction after you’ve done your year-end assignments,” said Moore.

County administration also considered adding 20 minutes to school days, beginning 10 minutes earlier and 10 minutes later, but Moore claims it is not the same as having a full day of instruction. Despite this, some students would rather have time added onto their day.

“Longer school days would be preferable since they’re spread out,” said James Brocker, junior. “I’d rather have five minutes stacked onto my classes than going a whole new extra day on the year since longer days won’t mess up my plans.”
While there was some backlash about the county’s decision to take away the first three days of spring break, school officials announced that students and teachers would not be penalized for not showing up. This announcement was only made after parents had started a petition on change.org to prevent the makeup days. Students, parents and even teachers on social media had posted question towards the county as to why the year was not extended, as it suggests on the official calendar for the 2014-2015 school year. Wake County has already announced that the three former spring break days will be like regular school days, including running busses and feeding students lunch. There will be a regular bell schedule.

“We really worked earnestly,” said Christine Kushner, Wake Schools Board Chair, during a Monday news conference. “We’ve worked really hard to do what’s best for the entire system and to do what’s best for instructional time that we have left in the year.”