Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Rowan Bissett
Rowan Bissett
Assistant Sports Editor

Rowan is a Sophomore at Athens, and when she is not writing for the Oracle, she's playing volleyball, volunteering, or being apart of Athens clubs. She's excited to be in her second semester of the Oracle...

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Mrs. Hornick is the adviser for The Athens Oracle, a position she has been lucky to hold for over 15 years! She loves watching her students grow as writers and some of her favorite parts of the class are...

Teacher Turnover Rate

Across the United States the rate of teachers quitting each year is increasing.  There is a constant debate in the education system about teachers, their salaries and ethics in school.  Teachers have the most important job and they deserve salary increases depending on how long they work at a school or in a school system.

To be a teacher a person must receive a Bachelors degree, which requires four years of college education and often a student teaching portion.  In today’s society, teachers are not paid well, which might have a big part to play in the increasing turnover rates.  A turnover rate is often the amount of time that a teacher quits after they have started their official position in a school system.

To go to school and study to become a professional and then leave the career shortly after makes no sense.  There is a difference between being dissatisfied and giving up.  If a teacher or someone from any career is unhappy there are steps that a person should take before giving up.

According to Cynthia Kopkowski from the National Educational Association, “Nationally, the average turnover for all teachers is 17 percent, and in urban school districts specifically, the number jumps to 20 percent and according to the National Center for Education Statistics.”

She explains how forty-six percent of teachers are gone within three years of teaching.  Attending school for four years, receiving a degree to only leave the career after a few years seems confusing.

Specifically in North Carolina, 14.3 percent of teachers left their positions last school year, which is an increase of 12.1 percent from the year before.  These teachers claimed to be dissatisfied with the school or just wanted a career change.

Being dissatisfied is a legitimate reason to leave a career but teachers should know what they are getting themselves into beforehand. Wanting a career change is understandable too but teachers need to realize this before the school year or after the school year ends.  It often happens where a teacher suddenly leaves during the school year and then their students have to deal with substitutes and it can affect their learning in a negative way.

In North Carolina, teachers without special degrees or national certification must work 15 years before they make any more than $40,000 a year on the state pay scale, according to Lynn Bonner from the News and Observer.

Teachers have one of the most important jobs and it is scary that their turnover rate is increasing.  Students nowadays don’t even consider being a teacher because of how poorly they are paid.  An increase in salary for teachers after they have worked a certain number of years would alleviate turnover rate and would motivate teachers to provide the best instruction possible for current students who are the future leaders of society.