Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Ruckus on the Roof

The construction that began on the roof of Athens Drive High School at the end of March was also the start of constant noise and distractions for students in classrooms in the 2700’s hall. Students suffered from loss of focus from the noise.

On April 21 because of the roof construction, a ceiling tile and insulation fell through Shane Barry, a science teachers’, classroom.  It fell on his desk and was cleaned that same day, yet the classrooms in this area of Athens were already distracted by the noise. This affected students learning plus there is the danger of possibly being hit by a ceiling tile.

Just two days later, more debris fell from the ceiling again in Barry’s classroom.  Another tile and this time a PVC pipe fell through while Jeremy Parrish, an administrator, was observing the class.  This debris could have easily hit and harmed a student in the classroom.  Thankfully this was not the case and students were removed from this classroom and moved to another room.  It is surprising that this classroom would be open to students again after the first incident on April 21.

After the first incident, Barry spoke to Administrator Steven Katz, who was concerned about the cleanup. However, once the room was cleared, classes continued. After the second occurrence, Parrish and Barry moved the students from the class. Barry spoke to another administrator, Theron Stallworth, who told Barry to email him about the problem. After receiving no response, Barry spoke to Principal Dr. James Hedrick who told Barry to find a new room.

Barry said, “I’ve had to work as a ‘floating teacher’ now. I’ve just been teaching my three classes in different science teachers’ rooms.”

Although Barry did not complain about having to be a temporary floating teacher, it is not something that he should of had to do.  He is used to having his own classroom and having to adjust to a last minute change can be stressful for a teacher who is used to having so much room.  Also, Barry is a science teacher and his classroom has equipment that might have been necessary for his class that day.

The construction on the roof has been a nuisance for not only Athens students but also their teachers.  It has caused noise distractions and even damage to a classroom.  Although these problems are now resolved, construction on the roof is continuing and hopefully no additional problems will arise.