Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Sophie King
Sophie King

Sophie King is a Junior at Athens Drive and is the Editorial editor for the Athens Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with friends, painting, and playing the piano and guitar. She hopes to shine a light on...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Superbowl Commercials

The Super Bowl is much more than a game, it is an world wide watched event that brings friends and families together through an intense game of American football, food and commercials.

Each year the commercials are different and can be anywhere from heartfelt to hilarious. Sometimes a commercial may refer to something specific that had happened in the previous year.  The superbowl this year left some Athens students unhappy with the lack of quality in the commercials.

Evan Fisher, senior, was disappointed, saying, “In addition to a terrible football game, the commercials did not impress me this year.”

The commercials had nothing interesting about them.  They were boring and lacking any sort of spark or funny elements.  Super bowl commercials should be extravagant and over the top, but this year they felt like something I would see in between any TV show on any given day.

Fisher, “It seems like a lot of the spots were filled with serious, action packed or cute commercials that didn’t even attempt to be funny.  However, even most of the comedic ones were flops.”

The Super Bowl was a big game for student Coby Weston, senior. Weston was born in Washington state and has been a fan of the Seahawks since he was born. “I did not pay much attention to the commercials because I am a diehard Seattle fan but they weren’t great this year.  If I had to choose I suppose Tebow’s commercials were the funniest.”

Fisher said his favorite commercial this year was the Audi A3 car with the Doberhuahua.  He said, “I actually cracked a laugh on that one.”  This commercial was the one of the dog with an abnormally large head attacking the town.

Yahoo sports ranked each Super Bowl commercial on a letter scale.  Their number one choice was the Budweiser commercial with the horse and puppy.  This commercial used pathos to evoke a feeling of devoutness to the reader.

Alex Porter, junior, claimed the Budweiser commercial to be her favorite as well. “The puppy was so cute and seeing a small animal bond with a horse that is quadruple the puppies size made my heart melt.  Although I am unsure what this had to do with Budweiser.”

Besides this specific commercial, Porter agreeing with Weston and Fisher said, “There were barely any funny ones and they weren’t enjoyable.”

It is unfortunate that the commercials this year were unimpressive because they come with quite a pretty price.  A commercial slot of 30 seconds during the super bowl according to CBS news was $3.5 million dollars.  Companies think these commercials are worth it since nearly 100 million people watch the super bowl each year.

Some claim the commercials are better than the football game, but this year according to the responses from Athens students this was not the case.  The game was almost a shutout, and there were few commercials that were funny.   In previous years the commercials have outshined the football game.

One of the commercials almost every avid super bowl watcher might remember is the E*Trade baby commercial in 2009.  Since the debut of the baby in this commercial, E*Trade has continued with this famous spokesperson.  It is true that a person will always remember commercials that made them laugh, but the score of the football game is not as memorable.