Athens Drive flag football team poses for a picture after winning their last game of the season. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb.
Sample templates
Nobody, None • April 18, 2024

AP classes are more rigorous than most high school courses, often being regarded as similar to college level. They require a lot of dedication from students each day to stay on top of the course load.
The struggles of AP exams
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • April 9, 2024

Advanced Placement (AP) courses are probably the most feared classes in high school. After all, they are college-level workloads! But on top...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

Superbowl Commercials

The Super Bowl is much more than a game, it is an world wide watched event that brings friends and families together through an intense game of American football, food and commercials.

Each year the commercials are different and can be anywhere from heartfelt to hilarious. Sometimes a commercial may refer to something specific that had happened in the previous year.  The superbowl this year left some Athens students unhappy with the lack of quality in the commercials.

Evan Fisher, senior, was disappointed, saying, “In addition to a terrible football game, the commercials did not impress me this year.”

The commercials had nothing interesting about them.  They were boring and lacking any sort of spark or funny elements.  Super bowl commercials should be extravagant and over the top, but this year they felt like something I would see in between any TV show on any given day.

Fisher, “It seems like a lot of the spots were filled with serious, action packed or cute commercials that didn’t even attempt to be funny.  However, even most of the comedic ones were flops.”

The Super Bowl was a big game for student Coby Weston, senior. Weston was born in Washington state and has been a fan of the Seahawks since he was born. “I did not pay much attention to the commercials because I am a diehard Seattle fan but they weren’t great this year.  If I had to choose I suppose Tebow’s commercials were the funniest.”

Fisher said his favorite commercial this year was the Audi A3 car with the Doberhuahua.  He said, “I actually cracked a laugh on that one.”  This commercial was the one of the dog with an abnormally large head attacking the town.

Yahoo sports ranked each Super Bowl commercial on a letter scale.  Their number one choice was the Budweiser commercial with the horse and puppy.  This commercial used pathos to evoke a feeling of devoutness to the reader.

Alex Porter, junior, claimed the Budweiser commercial to be her favorite as well. “The puppy was so cute and seeing a small animal bond with a horse that is quadruple the puppies size made my heart melt.  Although I am unsure what this had to do with Budweiser.”

Besides this specific commercial, Porter agreeing with Weston and Fisher said, “There were barely any funny ones and they weren’t enjoyable.”

It is unfortunate that the commercials this year were unimpressive because they come with quite a pretty price.  A commercial slot of 30 seconds during the super bowl according to CBS news was $3.5 million dollars.  Companies think these commercials are worth it since nearly 100 million people watch the super bowl each year.

Some claim the commercials are better than the football game, but this year according to the responses from Athens students this was not the case.  The game was almost a shutout, and there were few commercials that were funny.   In previous years the commercials have outshined the football game.

One of the commercials almost every avid super bowl watcher might remember is the E*Trade baby commercial in 2009.  Since the debut of the baby in this commercial, E*Trade has continued with this famous spokesperson.  It is true that a person will always remember commercials that made them laugh, but the score of the football game is not as memorable.