Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Superbowl Commercials

The Super Bowl is much more than a game, it is an world wide watched event that brings friends and families together through an intense game of American football, food and commercials.

Each year the commercials are different and can be anywhere from heartfelt to hilarious. Sometimes a commercial may refer to something specific that had happened in the previous year.  The superbowl this year left some Athens students unhappy with the lack of quality in the commercials.

Evan Fisher, senior, was disappointed, saying, “In addition to a terrible football game, the commercials did not impress me this year.”

The commercials had nothing interesting about them.  They were boring and lacking any sort of spark or funny elements.  Super bowl commercials should be extravagant and over the top, but this year they felt like something I would see in between any TV show on any given day.

Fisher, “It seems like a lot of the spots were filled with serious, action packed or cute commercials that didn’t even attempt to be funny.  However, even most of the comedic ones were flops.”

The Super Bowl was a big game for student Coby Weston, senior. Weston was born in Washington state and has been a fan of the Seahawks since he was born. “I did not pay much attention to the commercials because I am a diehard Seattle fan but they weren’t great this year.  If I had to choose I suppose Tebow’s commercials were the funniest.”

Fisher said his favorite commercial this year was the Audi A3 car with the Doberhuahua.  He said, “I actually cracked a laugh on that one.”  This commercial was the one of the dog with an abnormally large head attacking the town.

Yahoo sports ranked each Super Bowl commercial on a letter scale.  Their number one choice was the Budweiser commercial with the horse and puppy.  This commercial used pathos to evoke a feeling of devoutness to the reader.

Alex Porter, junior, claimed the Budweiser commercial to be her favorite as well. “The puppy was so cute and seeing a small animal bond with a horse that is quadruple the puppies size made my heart melt.  Although I am unsure what this had to do with Budweiser.”

Besides this specific commercial, Porter agreeing with Weston and Fisher said, “There were barely any funny ones and they weren’t enjoyable.”

It is unfortunate that the commercials this year were unimpressive because they come with quite a pretty price.  A commercial slot of 30 seconds during the super bowl according to CBS news was $3.5 million dollars.  Companies think these commercials are worth it since nearly 100 million people watch the super bowl each year.

Some claim the commercials are better than the football game, but this year according to the responses from Athens students this was not the case.  The game was almost a shutout, and there were few commercials that were funny.   In previous years the commercials have outshined the football game.

One of the commercials almost every avid super bowl watcher might remember is the E*Trade baby commercial in 2009.  Since the debut of the baby in this commercial, E*Trade has continued with this famous spokesperson.  It is true that a person will always remember commercials that made them laugh, but the score of the football game is not as memorable.