Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Corissa Greene
Corissa Greene
Sports Copy Editor

Corissa is a very creative person; not only is she smart academically but also socially. Corissa is considered by her peers as a driven student who strives to do above and beyond. She enjoys shopping with...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Operation Slow Down

The week of April 14 North Carolina Highway Patrol implemented an Operation Slow Down.  This meant that an increased number of police went out in order to catch speeders and dangerous drivers.  Police crack down during this week especially on young drivers to teach them a lesson and safer driving skills.

Troopers went out in marked and undercover cars to catch violators on interstates and highways.  According to the News and Observer, the 2013 version of this campaign gave out over 19,851 tickets just during a weeks-long span.  Police will often hide beneath bridges or in zones where the speed limit quickly drops to catch speeders.

Although the Operation is announced a few days in advance, it is not necessarily common knowledge.  It was briefly announced on the news but that is it.  It would be better if there was more of an advanced warning and announced on the news, radio, all media possible so that drivers know that police will be ample and stricter.  During this time there is not only more police,  but also more checkpoints.

It is not fair to have just a random week out of the year to target drivers.  Police should be this strict with speeding all the time, not just during one week out of the year.

“Although it sucks to be a victim of operation slow down, I understand why it had to happen especially towards the end of the year.  It is just in an effort to keep everyone safe and if you go the speed limit you have nothing to worry about.”

Senior Jenn Eustace was caught and ticketed during the Operation slow down period.

Police in today’ society are meant to protect the people and create a safe environment for citizens to live in.  Often times when people see police they freak out.  They do not feel protected, instead they feel that they are doing things wrong and will get in trouble.  People often fear them when they see them, slam on brakes or slowdown which can be more unsafe than driving above the speed limit.