Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Nathan Pitchford
Nathan Pitchford
Staff Writer

Nathan Pitchford is a freshman at Athens. He's a staff writer for the Oracle. He likes playing video games and reading books. He's looking forward to getting better at writing and making some (hopefully)...

Ilyass Chabreg
Ilyass Chabreg
Staff Writer

Ilyass Chabreg is a sophomore at Athens Drive. He is a staff writer for the Athens Oracle. He enjoys playing soccer in his free time and plays for the school soccer team.

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Operation Slow Down

The week of April 14 North Carolina Highway Patrol implemented an Operation Slow Down.  This meant that an increased number of police went out in order to catch speeders and dangerous drivers.  Police crack down during this week especially on young drivers to teach them a lesson and safer driving skills.

Troopers went out in marked and undercover cars to catch violators on interstates and highways.  According to the News and Observer, the 2013 version of this campaign gave out over 19,851 tickets just during a weeks-long span.  Police will often hide beneath bridges or in zones where the speed limit quickly drops to catch speeders.

Although the Operation is announced a few days in advance, it is not necessarily common knowledge.  It was briefly announced on the news but that is it.  It would be better if there was more of an advanced warning and announced on the news, radio, all media possible so that drivers know that police will be ample and stricter.  During this time there is not only more police,  but also more checkpoints.

It is not fair to have just a random week out of the year to target drivers.  Police should be this strict with speeding all the time, not just during one week out of the year.

“Although it sucks to be a victim of operation slow down, I understand why it had to happen especially towards the end of the year.  It is just in an effort to keep everyone safe and if you go the speed limit you have nothing to worry about.”

Senior Jenn Eustace was caught and ticketed during the Operation slow down period.

Police in today’ society are meant to protect the people and create a safe environment for citizens to live in.  Often times when people see police they freak out.  They do not feel protected, instead they feel that they are doing things wrong and will get in trouble.  People often fear them when they see them, slam on brakes or slowdown which can be more unsafe than driving above the speed limit.