Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Sophie King
Sophie King

Sophie King is a Junior at Athens Drive and is the Editorial editor for the Athens Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with friends, painting, and playing the piano and guitar. She hopes to shine a light on...

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Elijah Hoskins
Elijah Hoskins
Social Media Editor

Elijah Hoskins is a Sophomore at Athens Drive. This is his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, he likes to play his clarinet, attend marching band events, hang with friends,...

Internet speeds are slowing us down

The majority of students use Google Drive or another online resource to study or do work, so it should be natural to want to access online content faster. Improving internet speeds is not just for any one service, it’s about streamlining the level between your computer and the internet. It’s not about shortening loading time, it’s about forgetting about it. So why haven’t we already?

The infrastructure that our internet works on uses fiber optic cables to connect neighborhoods and provide internet. Google Fiber has been a hot topic since it was announced, and came to Kansas City, KS offering fiber services for the first time for many people. Fiber optic cables usually only go to the neighborhoods themselves, and then use other mediums to distribute internet connectivity to cut costs. Fiber uses the so called “last mile”, replacing old cables to improve speed. The last mile is where the slowdown happens, and it is also the most expensive to replace, taking up most of the wiring infrastructure.

The average internet speed in the United States is 8.7 megabits per second. To put that in perspective, the average high-definition movie is five gigabytes in size. With the current average internet speed, that would take an hour and 54 minutes at best, with no other internet access. With the projected fiber speeds of one gigabyte per second, it would take five minutes to download an entire HD movie. Speeds like this would change the way we think about downloading. I can hardly count the amount of times I’ve seen how long something would take to download and decided against it.

Still, cable companies refuse to pay the costs to move up to fiber optic internet due to a supposed lack of importance. Currently internet and TV bundle for 50 dollars a month from AT&T U-verse, and the same for Internet from Time Warner. Google Fiber offers one gigabyte per second for 70 dollars a month, or the same speeds there are now with no monthly fee. With the movement from TV and phone plans to internet based alternative such as netflix, companies adding TV or phone to your bill seems like a needless addition.

Currently, Cary and Raleigh are both prospective cities for Google Fiber expansion as per their website at fiber.google.com/about/, which also contains information about rates and speeds.