Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Ella Johnson
Ella Johnson
News Copy Editor

Ella Johnson (Right) is a Sophomore at Athens Drive High School. This is her first semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, she enjoys playing soccer, hanging out with friends, and listening...

Brady Jones
Brady Jones
Assistant News Editor

Brady Jones is a Senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester with the Athens Oracle. After school, he is an involved member of the Athens Drive theatre department, handling the technical components...

James Crumpler
James Crumpler
Photography Editor

James Crumpler (Far right) is a senior at Athens Drive and is in his second semester writing for the Athens Oracle. He likes eating Korean barbecue with his friends, playing games, and cooking. His favorite...

Differences in AP Classes

During high school, many students complain about their classes and the way teachers teach them because they invest a majority of their time to school and want the best results. Some teachers will give students a lot of homework, while other teachers do not give homework at all. Many teachers give time consuming projects, while others give group projects that are more interesting than a paper. Having teachers who give different work can make AP classes unfair, because one AP teacher can give easy group projects while the other teacher for the same AP class can be giving long papers and reading assignments.

Teachers need to have a fair curriculum and be there to help students, not just be there to hand out work that they think is “helping” the students. Many teachers think classes work better if the students are doing interactive or group projects. These projects make classes seem easier because students do not have to go home and do long projects or spend all class doing busy work. Other teachers give ten page long papers and at home projects or labs that take a lot of time and effort. Also, some teachers can get way ahead so one AP class can be reading a book months before the other class; this can cause students to have tests way before each other and give unauthorized help on work.

Over all, it would be best for teachers in the same department to plan their classes together so students can stay on the same schedule. Teachers at Athens plan classes together in the departments to make sure they have the same curriculum requirements. However, not always at the same time, or relatively the same projects which can make some students in the harder class upset. This should not be something that makes students get bad grades because they are comparing classes or complaining about classes. Furthermore, some classes or departments should be looked at to make sure the amount of work are fair.