Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Sophie King
Sophie King

Sophie King is a Junior at Athens Drive and is the Editorial editor for the Athens Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with friends, painting, and playing the piano and guitar. She hopes to shine a light on...

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Rose Luck
Rose Luck
Copy Editor

Rose Luck is a Junior at Athens Drive. She enjoys making jewelry and listening to music. This is Rose's second year, and third semester writing for the Athens Oracle. She finds journalism fun and as it...

Teen brands take a bias approach to make profits

Corporate business owners have become very preoccupied in what other customers think. They often catch themselves profiling or even making fun of someone, until they begin to feel embarrassed or aloof. When groups of people come together, especially in businesses, a melting pot of ideas emerges. Ideas such as how to market a product and where do they sell the product are marketing schemes that further profits and customers. But what happens when people begin to start profiling on purpose to make a profit?

Corporate profiling is becoming much more prevalent in an economically thirsty world. Companies target certain groups to make large profits and often forget that they are leaving out very important audiences.

One specific group that has been speculated for improper schemes called the “3 A’s” who consist of teenage corporate trendsetters, Abercrombie & Fitch, Aeropostale and American Eagle. These corporate kings of  teenage fashion are notorious for their unhealthy marketing habits. In most interviews, Abercrombie & Fitch withheld comments about hiring based on appearance in international stores.

In a 2006 interview with salon.com, the Chief Executive of Abercrombie Mike Jefferies stated, “Those companies that are in trouble are trying to target everybody: young, old, fat, skinny. But then you become totally vanilla. You don’t alienate anybody, but you don’t excite anybody, either.”

Even though the interview happened a mere seven years ago, it surfaced much attention once their stocks began to plummet quarter-by-quarter in 2012. Abercrombie’s sales dropped 10% in August. Meanwhile, Aeropostale’s sales dropped an even worse number of 15%. Customers have had numerous complaints that  most of their clothing sizes are irregularly thin. A size 5 in juniors, or 6 in Women’s at these particular stores can be a size 7/8 or a 9/10. By making their clothes smaller, not only are they negatively affecting America’s youth, but also teaching young girls and men alike that being an average size is wrong. The whole idea of “loving yourself” is eliminated by this marketing scheme.

Speculations are beginning to surface about how companies are marketing their clothing. Most teenage-targeted apparel stores are scouring for new ways to attract buyers, which is becoming a little risky. Abercrombie and Aeropostale have been under fire for their pickiness in employees. Many people are becoming more conscientious of where they spend their money and unfortunately, a minor slip up like the one Jefferies had can cost a large sum of money to go out of pocket. Unfortunately, most of it is motivated by what the teenagers want. Customers want what is in fashion and unfortunately if it doesn’t happen to come in a comfortable size then the companies are not going to be getting many comfortable comments.

View Comments (1)