Oracle Observations: Summer Funatics Podcast
Corissa Greene, Deevani Rodriguez, and Sama YousefApril 25, 2024

Sierra Moore
Sierra Moore
Staff Writer

Sierra Moore is a junior at Athens Drive. This is Sierra's first year on the Oracle. She enjoys hanging out with her friends. In her free time she also enjoy drawing and listening to music.

Ethan Adams
Ethan Adams

Ethan Adams is a Junior at Athens Drive. He is a Assistant News Editor for the Athens Oracle. He has been with the Oracle for 3 years. He enjoys getting to interact with others as well as writing. Ethan...

Lisi Abete is a Freshmen at Athens Drive. This is her first semester in the Oracle and she works on staff relations. Abete loves cats and going on bike rides.

Political unrest in Venezuela escalates

Venezuela Protests

The escalating violence of the protests in Venezuela since February is responsible for over 40 fatalities and several hundred injured persons and continues to intensify.

A number of factors have played into the escalating violence amongst anti-government protesters and authorities, including a record inflation of 56.2 percent.

In addition, Venezuelan students took to the streets in protest of insecurity on campus after a female student alleged she was a victim of attempted rape. Multiple students were arrested resulting in a follow-up protest for their release in Caracas.

“Venezuela has always been a little messed up,” said Elena Price, sophomore. “I think people are just tired of enduring everything and are trying to finally make their country better. Truthfully, it’s going to take a while until things calm down and come to a conclusion but for right now, police are super happy shooting and killing peaceful protesters.”

Price’s mother was raised in Venezuela and still has friends and family living there. Price says that it hurts their family to know that people they love are suffering and there is nothing they can do to help.The situation is similar for a number of families, also with relatives living amidst the political turmoil.

Henrique Capriles, who lost the presidential election to Nicolas Maduro a year earlier, became the elected leader of the opposition against the government.

Allegations of oppressive actions attempted by the government, such as hired pro-government “thugs” patrolling the streets, have contributed to the outrage felt by participants in the conservative movement. Venezuela has the fifth highest murder rate in the world; insecurity and crime are commonplace in urban areas. Food shortages also play a role in the unrest.

“Right now, people are dealing without their basic necessities, and people are dying right near their homes,” said Price.

The government claims the protests are a contributing factor to an attempted coup masterminded by the United States and right-wing Colombians. In response to the accusations and expulsion of three of the American diplomats, the U.S. has in turn expelled three Venezuelan diplomats. President Barack Obama assures the accusations are baseless and false.

As of now, there is no clear end in sight. Venezuela has a history of violent protests against the government, though this one is the worst in a decade.