Domestic violence: What it is and how to spot it
Elijah Hoskins, Social Media Editor • May 24, 2024

Every minute almost 20 people around the world are physically assaulted by their partner; in the US this equals more than 10 million people a...

Drake and Kendrick Lamar going back in forth to understand each others motive
Drake vs Kendrick Lamar
Corissa Greene, Copy Editor • May 22, 2024

There have been suppositions and rumors over the years about tensions between popular rappers Drake and Kendrick Lamar, but nothing has been...

Students walk around to view peers STEM projects. Students spent much of the event viewing projects as well as presenting their  own.
Athens STEM students display their semester-long work at Athens STEMposium
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • May 22, 2024

The work of the Athens Drive STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) students came to fruition this year at the Athens STEMposium on April...

The Athens Drive Flag Football team celebrates after their win against East Wake High School. This was the second game day, and it determined whether they would make it to the Sup-Her-Bowl
Women’s Flag Football’s future uncertain after new budget proposal
Ella Johnson, Copy Editor • May 21, 2024

This 2023-2024 school year, the Carolina Panthers announced they would be donating $50,000 to Wake County to kickstart Women’s flag football...

Members of the South Asian Student Association pose for a photo. This club is one of many school organizations that celebrate student diversity.
Athens Drive Culture Fest to return May 28
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • May 21, 2024

With a total minority enrollment of 59%, and students from many countries around the world, Athens Drive High School is the most diverse high...

Susan McGraw and Leya Arikat flaunt Athen’s gear as they give a detailed tour of the school. The pair steps up to aid in making certain the Magnet evaluators from Magnet Schools of America have a positive experience.
A new beginning: Boshoff's first year
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • May 17, 2024

Amanda Boshoff, Athens Drive’s newest principal, is ending off her first year on a high note. After a long year of getting to know the Athens...

Taylor Malloy
Taylor Malloy
Co- Editor in Chief

Taylor Malloy is a senior at Athens Drive High School. This year she is the Co-Editor in Chief of the Athens Oracle. She enjoys playing volleyball and exercising in her free time. Taylor is excited for...

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb
Staff Writer

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

Mariah Hatcher
Mariah Hatcher

Mariah Hatcher is an Athens Drive High School sophomore and an assistant sports editor for the Athens Oracle. This is her second semester writing for the Oracle. She enjoys writing, playing video games,...

Michele Morrow: Why you should research candidates before election day

Michele Morrows campaign photo. Each candidate who runs for office takes one. 
(Photo via Michele Morrow for State Superintendent)
Michele Morrow’s campaign photo. Each candidate who runs for office takes one. (Photo via Michele Morrow for State Superintendent)

Athens Drive seniors will be voting in this year’s presidential election in November. Teachers drill into them the importance of researching candidates before voting, however many disregard this task before they hit the polls. A story told time and time again is that when someone forgets to research their candidates, they pick whatever name they recognize. Unfortunately, this can be risky when you don’t know what policies people promote. While a name can be repeated in a positive light, it can equally occur with candidates you don’t agree with. 

A candidate who embodies the importance of researching candidates is Michelle Morrow. Morrow is running for State Superintendent of North Carolina schools. However, Morrow has never worked in a school setting, and all of her children but one have been fully homeschooled. Morrow has worked in hospital settings as a nurse in several states, including “[managing] a health clinic in the most rural area in the lower 48 states”. She distrusts schools, calling them “indoctrination centers”. 

Morrow supports Libs of Tiktok, an account run to “expose” liberal teachers. Her exposés have often led to teachers getting harassed at work, doxxed, or fired.
Photo via Michele Morrow on Twitter

Active on X (formerly Twitter), Morrow has made some questionable remarks towards former and incumbent presidents, as well as other famous figures such as Anthony Fauci and Bill Gates. She has made several tweets about former President Barack Obama and current President Joseph Biden endorsing the idea of killing them by firing squad in front of a crowd. In a tweet from May 2020, she wrote “I prefer a Pay Per View of [Obama] in front of the firing squad.” Since then, when asked about her previous tweets, she stood by her previous statements. According to a CNN article, “In other comments, Morrow repeatedly shared the false claim that Obama was Muslim, called Islam evil and expressed belief in a conspiracy theory that tens of thousands of Chinese troops were stationed in Canada to invade the United States to help Joe Biden become president.”

Morrow repeatedly expresses her distaste for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training on her Instagram. She has responded to many videos of violence in school that display what she believes to be results of said training.
Photo via Michele Morrow on Twitter

On schools and policy, Morrow is extremely distrustful of current education practices. She frequently reiterates that school programs currently in use are “indoctrinating” kids with topics that are useless for curriculums. She wants to end Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training for teachers and swap that for her own lesson planning training, which can be risky seeing as she doesn’t have formal school teacher training. DEA training is important for schools because it “helps educators recognize and address racist or biased ideas, build systems to protect students from discrimination, and improve academic and social-emotional outcomes for marginalized students” according to Hyperspace, a company that does the training in North Carolina for schools.  She makes vague statements on her website about her intentions, stating that “as Superintendent, Michele and her team will deploy a common-sense discipline and safety plan.” She wants to create safer schools by “prioritiz[ing] spending on student resource officers, video surveillance, and weapons detection systems in every school based on the 2021 safety audits.” In the reverse, studies from 2018 by the NIH show that stricter programs can make students feel less safe in schools, not more.

Morrow is fairly new to the political scene, having ran once prior to this coming election for a school board seat she did not receive. She is popular among conservative electors, with endorsements from names such as the Western Wake Republican Club, The Beaufort Observer, Carolina Teacher’s Alliance, Stand for Health Freedom, Angie Todd, Louis Rogers, and Pauline Bruno. No one is leading the polls, but time will tell in November what next year’s schools will look like.