Courtesy of Ava Seay
Senior Spotlight: Ava Seay
Brady Jones, Assistant News Editor • June 4, 2024

As the school year fades to an end, many graduates are leaving the Athens Drive community to begin searching for their passions. While some...

Brady Jones has an on-stage-cameo as security guard in production called I Hate Shakespeare. Photo provided by Lauryn Webb
Senior spotlight: Brady Jones
Taylor Malloy, Editor in Chief • June 4, 2024

Athens Drive High School watches many of its students arrive as freshmen and leave as seniors. Some of these seniors stand out as being leaders,...

Jayvon Coleman at Athens Drive
Senior Spotlight: Jayvon Coleman
Sama Yousef, Staff Writer • June 4, 2024

Throughout high school, students achieve and extend themselves thoroughly; Senior Jayvon Coleman has pushed himself to perform excellence throughout...

Rachel Huffman, a cheerful senior at a companions home having a fun time with friends and her digital camera, at a get together.
Senior Spotlight: Rachel Huffman
Deevani Rodriguez, Features Copy Editor • June 4, 2024

Out of the graduating class of 2024, Senior Rachel Huffman has strived to do her best at leading and achieving greatness at Athens Drive Magnet...

The Drive Inquiry Clubs website is pictured. Dylan Ducatte dedicated a lot of her time while at Athens to the club.
Senior Spotlight: Dylan Ducatte
Sophie King, Assistant Editor • June 4, 2024

A true historian, senior Dylan Ducatte has spent her time at Athens fully engaged in all the school's social studies classes. Throughout her...

Skylar Moore at graduation rehearsal with fellow students.
Senior Spotlight: Skylar Moore
Rowan Bissett, Assistant Sports Editor • June 4, 2024

June 8, 2024, Athens seniors will walk the stage, take their diplomas, and finally finish high school. One of those Seniors is Skylar Moore,...

Michele Morrow: Why you should research candidates before election day

Michele Morrows campaign photo. Each candidate who runs for office takes one. 
(Photo via Michele Morrow for State Superintendent)
Michele Morrow’s campaign photo. Each candidate who runs for office takes one. (Photo via Michele Morrow for State Superintendent)

Athens Drive seniors will be voting in this year’s presidential election in November. Teachers drill into them the importance of researching candidates before voting, however many disregard this task before they hit the polls. A story told time and time again is that when someone forgets to research their candidates, they pick whatever name they recognize. Unfortunately, this can be risky when you don’t know what policies people promote. While a name can be repeated in a positive light, it can equally occur with candidates you don’t agree with. 

A candidate who embodies the importance of researching candidates is Michelle Morrow. Morrow is running for State Superintendent of North Carolina schools. However, Morrow has never worked in a school setting, and all of her children but one have been fully homeschooled. Morrow has worked in hospital settings as a nurse in several states, including “[managing] a health clinic in the most rural area in the lower 48 states”. She distrusts schools, calling them “indoctrination centers”. 

Morrow supports Libs of Tiktok, an account run to “expose” liberal teachers. Her exposés have often led to teachers getting harassed at work, doxxed, or fired.
Photo via Michele Morrow on Twitter

Active on X (formerly Twitter), Morrow has made some questionable remarks towards former and incumbent presidents, as well as other famous figures such as Anthony Fauci and Bill Gates. She has made several tweets about former President Barack Obama and current President Joseph Biden endorsing the idea of killing them by firing squad in front of a crowd. In a tweet from May 2020, she wrote “I prefer a Pay Per View of [Obama] in front of the firing squad.” Since then, when asked about her previous tweets, she stood by her previous statements. According to a CNN article, “In other comments, Morrow repeatedly shared the false claim that Obama was Muslim, called Islam evil and expressed belief in a conspiracy theory that tens of thousands of Chinese troops were stationed in Canada to invade the United States to help Joe Biden become president.”

Morrow repeatedly expresses her distaste for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training on her Instagram. She has responded to many videos of violence in school that display what she believes to be results of said training.
Photo via Michele Morrow on Twitter

On schools and policy, Morrow is extremely distrustful of current education practices. She frequently reiterates that school programs currently in use are “indoctrinating” kids with topics that are useless for curriculums. She wants to end Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion training for teachers and swap that for her own lesson planning training, which can be risky seeing as she doesn’t have formal school teacher training. DEA training is important for schools because it “helps educators recognize and address racist or biased ideas, build systems to protect students from discrimination, and improve academic and social-emotional outcomes for marginalized students” according to Hyperspace, a company that does the training in North Carolina for schools.  She makes vague statements on her website about her intentions, stating that “as Superintendent, Michele and her team will deploy a common-sense discipline and safety plan.” She wants to create safer schools by “prioritiz[ing] spending on student resource officers, video surveillance, and weapons detection systems in every school based on the 2021 safety audits.” In the reverse, studies from 2018 by the NIH show that stricter programs can make students feel less safe in schools, not more.

Morrow is fairly new to the political scene, having ran once prior to this coming election for a school board seat she did not receive. She is popular among conservative electors, with endorsements from names such as the Western Wake Republican Club, The Beaufort Observer, Carolina Teacher’s Alliance, Stand for Health Freedom, Angie Todd, Louis Rogers, and Pauline Bruno. No one is leading the polls, but time will tell in November what next year’s schools will look like.