Foster the People review

Foster the People, an alternative band best known for their hit single in 2011, ‘Pumped Up Kicks,’ released their new album titled “Supermodel” March 18.

The reason for producing this album, lead singer Mark Foster explained to the daily orange, is to ensure they will not be tagged as a one-hit wonder band.  He was concerned that the longer he waited in between album releases, the more likely that people would only remember Foster the People for that one song.

“Supermodel” is an album self-explained through the name.  It is a representation of how the band has grown since its first album and made a name for themselves aside from “that band who sings ‘Pumped up Kicks.’

This album is relaxing and perfect for spring break and warm weather.  It has the kind of songs that make you want to ride around with the windows down.

Foster explained to The Washington Post, “I feel like trying to write a song in order to be a big hit is just not something I’m interested in because it’s not going to come from an authentic place of expression.”

Writing an album with intentions is difficult, he told New Musical Express.  It is better to let the music come together naturally and feature other artists within the album to enhance the quality and peoples interest.

“This album is not the kind of music I normally listen to, but I was pleasantly surprised,” said Justin Moody, senior.

This album has tracks ranging from a disco-Daft-Punk-like vibe to more of an EDM or Passion Pit feel.  The song ‘Coming of Age’ from the album already has high ratings and is working its way up the iTune’s top charts.

With this album, Foster the People will not only gain new fans but keep the old fans that they developed from their album “Torches.”