Zane Perryman

Zane is a senior in Newspaper 3 and is an assistant editor. He likes music and taking pictures and writing stories about things he enjoys.

Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Abody Moazeb
Abody Moazeb

Abody Moazeb is a sophomore here at Athens Drive. This is Abody's first year writing for the Oracle. In his free time, he enjoys playing soccer and hanging out with his friends.

News Briefs

Girl stabbed after rejecting invitation to prom

Maren Sanchez, 16, was stabbed to death after turning down a prom proposal from a fellow Jonathan Law High School student. Sanchez was killed on the day of prom, April 25. Her high hopes for the dance that night were cut short when classmate Chris Plaskon, 16, was angered by her refusal to accompany him to prom. Plaskon shoved Sanchez down a flight of stairs at the high school, attempted to choke her and then stabbed her with a kitchen knife brought from his home. Sanchez was pronounced dead in Bridgeport Hospital after being rushed there by emergency workers. Friends and family were horrified by the news, and prom was postponed until a later date. In honor of her death, community members of Milford, Conn. have gathered together to create a memorial to help heal the wounds. Plaskon is under police custody, facing charges in regards to Sanchez’s murder. The group that she would have originally gone to prom with met at a seaside location in formal-wear and took a picture with Sanchez’s date holding the dress she had been planning to wear. The photos of this occasion are now starting to become Internet sensations.

Strawberry season looks promising in NC

Despite the jumbled weather and cold winters, strawberry farmers in North Carolina look forward to an especially promising season this year. The surplus of berries will begin to come in at different times during the months of April, May and June.

“I am so excited to go strawberry picking with my family this year. We go every year, but we have heard rumors about how many more strawberries there will be, so I hope to go with my friends as well,” said Jennifer Eustace, senior.

Timing of each season depends on the farms’ locations. According to N.C. Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler, the combination of row covers and irrigation is bringing a successful season to expectant farmers.

Tornado seasons hits several states hard

Following a roller coaster season of hot and cold weather, strong storms are growing more and more severe. The National Weather Service has issued warnings and watches to caution people in certain areas, according to the timing and location of each storm. Concerns are constantly coming with sudden rainstorms and tornadoes cancelling sports events and threatening the safety of people. Reports of funnel clouds have caused some to believe that these storms are a dangerous mix between tornados and hurricanes. Several people have already fallen victim to these tornados, such as 21-year-old University of Alabama swimmer John Servati, who died while saving his girlfriend from a falling concrete wall. After months of unpredictable weather, clear skies are not visible until these storms set aside for good.