Hannah Suehle
Hannah Suehle
Co-Editor in Chief

Hannah Suehle is a senior at Athens Drive and co-editor-in-chief. This is their fifth semester writing for the Athens Oracle. Outside of school, they like to play games, read, crochet, and do Scottish...

Sama Yousef
Sama Yousef

Sama Yousef is driven to success. Overall she is a fun person to be around. She loves her job at Hollister that she works at with her friends and says it's a nice environment to be in. She enjoys going...

Nora Richards
Nora Richards

Nora Richards is a junior here at Athens Drive. This is her third year being a part of Athens Oracle. She enjoys swimming, making jewelry, and hanging out with friends.

New changes coming to American Idol

The network Fox has revamped everything for the thirteenth season of American Idol.  The changes include a brand new set, theme song, lighting and going back to their roots by only having three judges instead of four. The judging panel this year includes Jennifer Lopez (who was also a part of the judging panel in seasons 10 and 11), Keith Urban (who joined American idol last season, and newcomer Harry Connick, Jr.

There are many changes behind the camera  this season including all new directors and FOX putting  a new executive in charge of the show. All the new changes are in an effort to increase show ratings since they have been on a steady decline the past few seasons.

“I did use to watch American Idol. I stopped watching because it was the same thing every season and they didn’t change anything to try and grab the viewers’ attention,” said Sarah House, junior.

These new changes were designed to do just that, grab the attention of viewers; however, despite this effort, the show premiered on January 8 with the lowest premiere ratings yet. According to the “New York Times” the show had 15.2  million views which was a 23 percent decline from the previous year.

“I think they should show more about the contestants and their practice than the judging,” advised House.

According to “Radio Times,” many people attribute the falling ratings of American Idol to the success of other singing competition shows such as “The Voice” as well as the constant changing in the judging panel. It is also rumored that the show might be getting cancelled after this season if they do not get the ratings up.  Many feel that the show should not be cancelled American Idol has success since the show began  producing many successful musicians and raises millions of dollars for a variety of charities.

“I don’t think that American Idol should go off air because it is helping people like you and I become rising musicians,” said House.