HYPHY takes the floor

Photos by TaNautica Battled
HYPHY performed at the football game. To honor HYPHY the members locked arms showing unity.

Calling all dancers! HYPHY has returned after a successful year of performing during school events such as pep rallies. This year’s tryouts were held on Nov. 27-29 in the cafeteria after school.

According to Britannica, dance is, “the movement of the body in a rhythmic way, usually to music and within a given space, for the purpose of expressing an idea or emotion, releasing energy, or simply taking delight in the movement itself.” HYPHY dances to many different songs in the latest trends in the dance industry while also being able to express themself through showing emotion and the motions and movements of each dance.

Many people enjoy different styles of dance. Whether that’s contemporary, modern, or ballet. Each provides people with the opportunity to express themselves and share their love of dance.

Kennedy Truitt was a part of HYPHY last school year. “Never be scared to express yourself, don’t limit your capability because the moment you do that you’ll never know what you can do,” said Truitt, senior at Athens Drive.

Many years ago HYPHY existed as a dance team, but eventually, it came to an end. Recently former HYPHY dancer, now teacher at Athens Drive TaNautica Stevenson-Battled along with Brittany Morrison, brought HYPHY back to Athens Drive.

“When I was going to Athens, I was on the dance team which was called HYPHY, and I knew when I started working here working with HYPHY and bringing it back was something that I wanted to do,” said Stevenson-Battled, an instructional assistant at Athens Drive.

When people think of HYPHY they may think of it as just a dance team. However, that’s not the case. Former HYPHY dancers Jakayla Simmons, Kira Dumas, Kimora Dumas, and Kennedy Truitt all say that once you join HYPHY, you enter a sisterhood as you create a bond and learn new things about each other.

“HYPHY is a safe space for everyone. We dance together, we cry together, we eat together, we learn from each other and grow,” said Stevenson-Battled.