Are school fights a problem?

Photos by Zane Perryman
Cartoon of school fights.

If you go to a public school in America, chances are high that you have come across a fight in the halls. It is not uncommon to have one break out at least once a week, or even a day. Many students have grown accustomed to these fights, and it has even become a form of entertainment over time. But is this a bad thing? What does this show about how much society has become desensitized to violence?

School fights are inevitable. When over a thousand students are put into a building, they are prone to start conflict with one another which can happen both in person and online. Kids and teenagers already have so many issues building up that sometimes all it takes for a fight to start is just a small comment or misunderstanding. When these fights happen, students will run to be able to see it first hand. This is an issue because violence has become so normalized that people actually enjoy seeing fights.

Many would say that school fights are not a big deal, but the problem with fighting at school is not even necessarily the fighting itself. The fact that so many people’s first instinct is to resort to violence rather than deal with their problems peacefully is the real issue. But it’s not only that, people’s reactions to seeing a fight at school lead to excitement rather than being uncomfortable at the sight of people expressing hatred. People are also always filming every fight, which spreads the drama around by people asking for videos and information on what happened.

The reason why some people fight is different from most people. They could have issues with their mental health causing them to feel like they should take out their feelings on people. Or they could simply just be someone who likes to fight. Either way the fact that violence is so normalized is a problem and deserves to be taken seriously.